Smoking alternator

-

69bronzeT5

My wife's car is faster.
Reaction score
When we first tried starting my car (shorting out the starter relay), the alternator started smoking. My dad said the starter is fried and the alternator is smoking abit because the last owner of the car crossed the wires when he installed the rebuilt one he put in. He said once we install the new starter correctly, it won't smoke anymore and everything will be fine. Does this sound correct?

sounds suspicious. id make shore every thing is wired properly.shorted diod in alternator could do it.does the amp gauge peg.if not and its wired right id check the alternator. good luck

Put a nicorette patch on it and it should be OK for a day or so.. LOL

There isn't anything that should be smoking before or after a starter is installed. Unhook the battery. Have the alternator and starter checked and replace if necessary. Go here and double check your wiring:

You might have damaged the voltage regulator so be prepared to replace it. Use a OHM meter to check it. There has to be something not wired up correctly and until you find it you are going to have problems. Good luck!

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=28

-
Back