smoky new engine

-

Joseph24251_200

The Mopar Kid
Reaction score
I just got the new 360 in the Dart yesterday let it run for a few mins and everything seemed fine but when i went to give it a lil gas it blew out a cloud of light blue and black smoke. I know the carb is a lil rich and i haven't started the engine all day because i haven't had time to tune it but the light blue smoke is oil right is this a problem or will it clear once i get a lil run time in

Joseph,
regarding the blue smoke:

A new engine will smoke a bit as it burns off the assembely lube used to put it together. Also, If you have a new exhaust, the coatings used to prevent rust will smoke a bit too. If your using an existing exhaust, there may be oil in it from the old engine. Rings may smoke a bit too until they seat, but that should just take minutes.

Regarding the black smoke:

Get this taken care off ASAP. If you don't, you'll wash the rings down and it will never stop burning oil.

I hope that you followed a cam break in procedure if you're running a flat tappet cam as recommended by the cam manufacturer or the rebuilder. It's a bad idea to just fire up flat tappet engine for just a few minutes.

I hope everything works out for you and good luck!

I buildt an engine once and it smoked like a freight train just like it did before the rebuild same side and all.After the new engine burnt all the old oil from the exhaust it never smoked again,the old tired engine must have been really pumping the oil out

-
Back