Snagged a gas cap!

-

pharmboy

Reaction score
At the flea market yesterday, picked up a flip-top gas cap from a challenger...not an A-body part, but it definitely looks neater than a regular cap...the chrome's looking a bit spotty, and it needs a new spring for the latch...but I think it's a decent style upgrade for $10

Yeah, I'm sure making an adapter to go between the filler neck and the cap's mounting flange wouldn't be difficult. Namely just cutting up a gas cap and bolting something together. Should be a nice touch of flair for the outside. And if the chrome can't be salvaged, I might just send it to Leanna for some powder coating 8)

Nice find!!! Gotta love upgrading for a great price.

It certainly feels a lot heavier than zinc alloy...but, it might be the steel parts attached. I got a couple pictures with my phone...I think a simple flange that just clamps on the filler neck would do it...any other ideas for attachment that wouldn't involve major metal surgery?

cap1.jpg

cap2.jpg

thats a 67/68 Barracuda cap or 68 Charger maybe ? 69 Barracuda, Charger, Daytona and 70-71 Challenger would say Fuel on it.

I put one off a 69 Cuda on my 66 Dart. It doesn't say fuel on it so not too sure if it was orginal or not... Any way what you need to do is just make a couple cuts where the hinge and latch are. bend the metal in and that will give you the room you need. Then take your filler tube and install it from the outside. that will give you the spacing needed for it. I post pics a while back on here showing how I did mine.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=39830

It's definitely original...scraped a bit of crud from the inside and found a pentastar stamped into the mounting flange...awesome tip, dartcuda...I'll be doing that.:cheers:

Leanna, how much would it run me to get the cap/latch done up in 'ultra black chrome'? I'd be sending just the cap/latch.

I've been thinking of rotating my filler neck up higher. Most pumps won't stay in the car and you have to stand there holding it. Ticks people off when I finish filling and then go pop the hood to check everything else. Some lady, and I use the term loosely, called me names I had to look up for meaning the other day. I guess she was in a hurry.

Leanna, how much would it run me to get the cap/latch done up in 'ultra black chrome'? I'd be sending just the cap/latch.

Give me a call (or PM your number and I'll call you -- I have Vonage / free long distance LOL). I'm certain we can work something out that we'll both be happy with.

Cuda 65VPT...to keep it from popping out while you're filling up, you just need to take a heavy wire hanger, and bend it into a shape like the one in the crude drawing I've attached. Slide it over the nozzle, the wire loop with snag on the wire wrap on the nozzle, and then the hooked end will hang up on the inner rim of your filler neck...now you can gas-up hands free...

gashook.JPG

10 bucks :happy10: Good snag pharmboy:cheers:

-
Back