Snout length

-
Can't speak for SB's but they're measured from the gear cover. Manufacturers will have 3 or so basic lengths and you use pulley spacers to fine tune - though if you need 2" or more of spacers, you've got the wrong length snout. I'm guessing the 5-8" range.

Jack, you have an intake manifold?

That will determine your snout length, as well as placement of the crank pulley.

Jack, you have an intake manifold?

That will determine your snout length, as well as placement of the crank pulley.

I was thinking that exact thing last night after I posted the question. I suspect different intakes will have different blower positioning. The reason I was asking is I see SBC setups with a very short snout all the time and then I see BBM and BBC setups with long snouts. I was just trying to figure out which was going to work better for me if I went that route.

Jack

get your lower crank pulley on and blower on the intake. take straight edge/level and lay it against the lower pulley across both top and bottom. measure from the straight edge to where the snout bolts on. take into consideration where the 3" belt will be around the water pump and if need be add to get the belt in the clear of the pump.

Thanks Bob, I understand how to do that but I was thinking more on the line of if I was buying a used setup from somebody, I would be able to tell if it was going to work for me without to many hassles.

Jack

-
Back