So..... all these years .

-

moparman007

Reaction score
I am a long time Mopar guy, but I found myself with a question I did not have an answer to today. The grille of my 67 Valiant, Stainless or aluminum?? I am leaning to the latter, but the metal determines how I begin to restore to "like new"
Thanks in advance,

I am a long time Mopar guy, but I found myself with a question I did not have an answer to today. The grille of my 67 Valiant, Stainless or aluminum?? I am leaning to the latter, but the metal determines how I begin to restore to "like new"
Thanks in advance,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you should be able to determine this with a magnet.

Magnets generally do stick to stainless steel, though exceptions to the rule can be found. Steel is composed mostly of iron, which is often naturally magnetic and can easily be magnetized. Magnetic stainless steel is usually ferritic, with a high iron content and molecular structure that supports a magnetic field

Most likely alum. It will be really light. SS will be heavy as steel. A file in a hidden section will tell, alum. is much softer.
Quality SS is not magnetic, cheaper grades are, which most trim pieces will be around windshields etc.

Stainless will have a "proper" metal feeling weight to it. While aluminum will have an airy/light feeling.

Magnet won't help you here. Common stainless (304/316) are non-magnetic (to a point obviously, there might be a light magnetic attraction, but very faint). Other grades of stainless can be partially magnetic. So it's a shot in the dark test.

Weight is the best way to tell. You'll notice the difference between an aluminum and stainless grill just by weight. Depending on the size of the piece it can be a pound or more.

If it cuts easily with a pocket knife (in an inconspicuous area), it's aluminum.

Most stainless is not magnetic.

Pour some lye on it. It gets clean, it's stainless. It dissolves, it's aluminum. ;-)

-
Back