So how does this work?

-

Csommers

Reaction score
I have an A833 non OD trans and a steel scattershield. The diameter of the scattershield opening is smaller than the transmission? Is it possible to open it to the transmissions size? If I can how important is it that it's perfectly round? Thanks

IMG_2820.JPG

IMG_2822.JPG

IMG_2823.JPG

It is very important. This diameter keeps the transmission input centered properly in the back of the crankshaft. it could be opend up by a machine shop, but you will beed to check its cocentricity with the back of the crank after and adjust it with offset dowels (available from chrysler) I believe the procedure is in the FSM's. This should be checked regardless. other options are installing a smaller input bearing retainer on the transmission, or turning yours down.

Measure the hole with a caliper and then the bearing retainer.

Looks like an old Lakewood can. They had the big bearing hole in it, and sent a spacer to go around the smaller front bearing.

You sure you don't have the OD box???

I can't find the caliper right now I'll have to search my garage. PO is pretty knowledgeable with this stuf and said t wasn't a OD trans. Here are some numbers off it. Not sure if it helps or not. Will look for the caliper later. Thanks

IMG_2985.JPG

IMG_2986.JPG

IMG_2987.JPG

But if you still want to use that transmission you could either swap retainers to a big block style, which has a 4.807" diameter, or turn the one you have down in a lathe to that measurement.

So I can either swap the retainer or have the bellhousing turned?
What I meant was you could have the bearing retainer you have now turned down. I've done it several times,back when it was easier to find an overdrive retainer than a big block one.

No.....dont throw it out. the hemi four speeds also used the big retainer. There were three sizes I believe. Some transmissions ( hemi 4 speeds and od 4 speeds ) both use the larger, beefier input bearing necesitating the larger retainer. I cant see in the pictures, how many splines are on the input shaft? 18 means it is a hemi box, or has hemi internals. 23 means is is an od or regular 4 speed.

Why not knock out the spacer ring that's in the bell housing? Unless I'm mistaken, there is a ring in that hole, as shown in the 2nd picture of post #5.

Why not knock out the spacer ring that's in the bell housing? Unless I'm mistaken, there is a ring in that hole, as shown in the 2nd picture of post #5.

That's actually just spray paint. I was trying to determine how much larger the trans was to the bellhousing because I couldn't find my caliper

Fork pivot may become an issue. Look at previous picture.
I'd turn the flange OD as stated previously. Don't forget to add some "lead" to the flange to start in the bell bore. May need to take a little off the 4 bolts also.

-
Back