So i finally replaced my air cleaner. Now how do I hook all the hoses up?

-

edb_app

Reaction score
Everyone on here has been telling me to replace the little lawnmower air cleaner and I finally had the chance to today. I am having some trouble trying to figure out where all the hoses are supposed to go. Not sure how the big hose coming from the air cleaner is supposed to fit onto the breather since it does not have a opening. The thing with the question mark sitting on the cleaner was connected to the dist and carb its metal and has 3 small openings. In the picture there are 2 hoses one on each end of it and one opening in the middle. Then the other thing with the question mark I am unsure of, I just put a cap on it for now. If anyone could take a look at the pic that would be of help. Sorry its not of better quality, my camera is not working right now so its from my phone.

2.jpg

Hey edb,

You were going to send $15 (on 8/27) to cover shipping for the free air cleaner I have been holding onto (for two months) and boxed for you. I am assuming that you no longer want it again?

Dont know what to do with the big hose that comes out of the air cleaner since there is nowhere to put it on my breather?

DSC06010.jpg

It looks like you've had someone redo your PVC system so it's plumbed differently, changing it from a closed PVC to an open one (breather vented to the air). Your big air cleaner will run just fine without any hoses plumbed to it. The connection to the distributor was a poorly done smog widget that it'll run better without. The only thing that might even be useful to make running is the heated air warm up snorkel.

Hey edb,

You were going to send $15 (on 8/27) to cover shipping for the free air cleaner I have been holding onto (for two months) and boxed for you. I am assuming that you no longer want it again?

It seems your post went unnoticed... imagine that.

So now I have the air cleaner just sitting on top of the carb with no hoses coming out of it. It has a smooth sounding start up and seems a lot quieter while running now. One thing I will get is a hose that connects to the manifold for the snorkel but where does the thing on top of the snorkel connect to on the carb? Thanks for the imput MadScientistMat!

Well, after all, he is invisible.....

Sorry, I couldn't resist ;-)

No worries, I am use to it all ready. Being a mod in "stealth" mode (and especially in the PST zone) has it's benefits. That's when all the late night hooligans bombard the forum. Little do they know they are being watched. ;)

I have another breather and tried to replace the aftermarket one but it did not fit. I probably need a different size rubber piece that goes between the breather and the valve cover.

Just bought a duct and hooked up a hose from the top of the snorkle to the carb. Am I doing things correctly?

Ever since I installed the new air cleaner it has trouble starting when cold. I have to press the pedal than manually move the fast idle screw to the highest step. Not sure what happened but it used to do that on its own. I also noticed that the trapdoor on the snorkle that opens and closes to let air in just stays open so it only lets in air from the exhaust manifold. Unless I take off the hose on top of the snorkle thats connected to the carb the trapdoor does not close and pull in fresh air.

It looks like you've had someone redo your PVC system so it's plumbed differently, changing it from a closed PVC to an open one (breather vented to the air). Your big air cleaner will run just fine without any hoses plumbed to it. The connection to the distributor was a poorly done smog widget that it'll run better without. The only thing that might even be useful to make running is the heated air warm up snorkel.

sorry i had to say it its pcv not pvc
positive crankcase ventilation not polyvinyl chloride tubing lol

-
Back