So Long Atlanta Dragway

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Pretty sad day today.
ATLANTA DRAGWAY.jpg

AAA Fontana closed down too, for no clearly explained reason. After spending several million dollars for a sound wall, a couple years ago.
One more show at Fontana. Oddly enough the same weekend The Winternationals used to occupy at Pomona, last weekend in February. After that, who knows. They are still contemplating making it a 1/2 mile :realcrazy:. I got to see 200mph at Ontario Motor Speedway shortly before they eliminated that one. And they were still Big Block cars :steering:

One more show at Fontana. Oddly enough the same weekend The Winternationals used to occupy at Pomona, last weekend in February. After that, who knows. They are still contemplating making it a 1/2 mile :realcrazy:. I got to see 200mph at Ontario Motor Speedway shortly before they eliminated that one. And they were still Big Block cars :steering:
That's news to me. I know they used to run half mile drags, many many years ago, on the back straight of Riverside Raceway (Long before my time). Wanna say late fifties, early sixties. Cars were a lot slower then.....

That's news to me. I know they used to run half mile drags, many many years ago, on the back straight of Riverside Raceway (Long before my time). Wanna say late fifties, early sixties. Cars were a lot slower then.....
There weren't too many racing adventures they DIDN'T do at Riverside :lol: One of my instructors when I was an apprentice Operating Engineer raced Enduro Karts there on the big road course :steering:

It's from a lack of interest. The kids today are more interested in iPads, electric vehicle's, going green. How many tracks are left? I haven't research it out but I heard that 2 maybe 3 are left.

The race track in Madison Illinois has been sold about 3 times over the last couple of years. One huge downside of the track is that there's no hotels or restaurants close by,its all poor planning, that track has been around for years and they still can't figure it out. They finally brought back Friday night madness, but I don't know how well that's doing. I wouldn't be surprised if that track doesn't get sold for a different development in the next couple of years. I haven't seen any junior dragster activity in years.

NHRA owned this track. They also own Pomona which almost closed this year. Watch out Gainesville, you’re next.
Thank God they sold National Trail, NHRA / sellouts.

I went to the very last North GA Swap meet they held at Atlanta Dragway, and what everyone local there was saying, is that it's gonna be covered with an apartment complex to house the imported workers that the Korean battery plant will need. I guess they think nobody in Commerce wants to work! :mad:

I went to the very last North GA Swap meet they held at Atlanta Dragway, and what everyone local there was saying, is that it's gonna be covered with an apartment complex to house the imported workers that the Korean battery plant will need. I guess they think nobody in Commerce wants to work! :mad:

What’s wrong with existing housing ?

I think I know the answer.

Riverside 1980, my groomsmen and I go to see NASCAR on the road course. Got the tickets that let us roam the infield. Sittin' near the SSSs David Pearson goes blasting by with his left hand in front of the window nets and holding on to the side view mirror :lol: .

80 percent of the drag strips will be gone in the next 5 years. The remaining 20 percent will be under pressure to close

-
Back