So, TTi says my Hookers are made wrong, are they full of crap?

-
Anothe pic

002.jpg

I'm sure TTi never stated that "Hookers are made wrong"!
They probably told you, that the Hooker headers you have are made differently than the headers they bought years ago to use as their mock-up guide. It should have been no surprise that modification may be required. Enclosed in all the TTi header adapter kit boxes is this note…

HEADER ADAPTERS: Adapters to mate Hooker, Hedman or Thorley headers with TTI exhaust systems were designed at Tube Technologies Inc. utilizing new unmodified Hooker, Hedman and Thorley headers. Precision tooling-fixtures were designed to insure exact replication of each different adapter. Should your adapter not fit your header properly, it will be necessary to modify the adapter to fit your particular header variation.

It is known that the Hooker collector flanges have been clocked differently depending on where their headers have been manufactured; US or Mexico.

It would be impossible for anyone to keep up with all the header variations, brands and the different models.

Hey guys. TTI got back to me about this. Heres what they said.

Hello Paul,

I remember this guy. He was never told that the Hooker headers were made wrong!

We asked him to check the stamped part numbers on the part to make sure it is correct for his headers. If they were correct, then the flange clocking may vary from the headers we bought from Hooker years ago to use as our mock-up guide. We run into this every once in awhile. T
he Hooker collector flanges have been clocked differently depending on where their headers have been manufactured; US or Mexico.

Sam explained to him how to cut and rotate the adapters to make them work.

It shouldn't have been a surprise to him because we put in every header adapter kit box this note so everyone will be aware that modification may be required.

"HEADER ADAPTERS: Adapters to mate Hooker, Hedman or Thorley headers with TTI exhaust systems were designed at Tube Technologies Inc. utilizing new unmodified Hooker, Hedman and Thorley headers. Precision tooling-fixtures were designed to insure exact replication of each different adapter. Should your adapter not fit your header properly, it will be necessary to modify the adapter to fit your particular header variation."

It is impossible for us to keep up with header variations and purchase everyone else's headers to ensure our 6"-12" long adapters will directly bolt-up to every header.

You know, he didn't even mention in his gripe that we offered to modify the adapters if he gave us the bolt pattern dimensions. He never called or sent the adapters back.

Thank you for your interest and consideration of our TTI Performance Exhaust & Header products.

Best Regards,

Alena
Tube Technologies, Inc.
TTI Performance Exhaust & Headers
1555 Consumer Circle
Corona, CA 92880
(951) 371-4878
www.ttiexhaust.com

TTi specializes in MoPars only!

Hey guys. TTI got back to me about this. Heres what they said.

I remember this guy. He was never told that the Hooker headers were made wrong!

OK, thats out and out bullshit. Sorry, no other way to say it. TTI Rep: "We make ours in a jig, I think Hooker just guesses at it". Perhaps I should have named the thread, "TTi says my fitment issues are Hooker's fault" if we want to be pedantic about it. Unfortunately I can't change the title now.

It shouldn't have been a surprise to him because we put in every header adapter kit box this note so everyone will be aware that modification may be required.

"HEADER ADAPTERS: Adapters to mate Hooker, Hedman or Thorley headers with TTI exhaust systems were designed at Tube Technologies Inc. utilizing new unmodified Hooker, Hedman and Thorley headers. Precision tooling-fixtures were designed to insure exact replication of each different adapter. Should your adapter not fit your header properly, it will be necessary to modify the adapter to fit your particular header variation."

So, in other words. Our parts don't fit! Here's a psuedo legalese explanation for it. Oh, and by the way, putting it in the box only lets me see it AFTER you've got my money.

You know, he didn't even mention in his gripe that we offered to modify the adapters if he gave us the bolt pattern dimensions. He never called or sent the adapters back.

THEY DID NOT OFFER TO MODIFY THESE. More BS. They said "Well, I could have you send them back but they'd still be wrong. You're better off doing it yourself." For the recor, I imagine the modification would cost less than the price to pay shipping to TTi both ways. Takes about a half hour.

Bolt pattern dimensions? WTF? That doesn't have anything to do with what the problem was.

Heres what else. They found the thread. They sure didn't bother to contact me.

I bothered to come back and add to the post that they were right about the headers, and then they come back with some half-baked horse*** like this?

That response pisses me off. Especially in light of the huge problems I had when I went to attach the X-pipe to the adapters.

Edit:

Oh, forget it. I was going to go off on a tirade about how the pipes that connect the header adapters to the X are wider than the cutouts in my crossmember, or show pics of how the primary tubes in my TTi headers were all kinked vs. the ultra cheap Hookers that aren't but its just not worth being a poison pill.

Everybody's gotta make a living I guess.

Again, my intention starting this thread wasn't to bash TTi, but rather to find out if what they were telling me was true or not. It looks like it was.

I dont get how anybody can have a problem with TTI... the 3 inch exhaust we got from them is dead on perfect and fits amazingly. I mean, it went on great and not a single thing held us up!

Oh course, we were using the stock exhaust manifolds.

I think the real problem lies in the expense of TTI's product. The saying"you get what you pay for" should apply seeing as how your shelling out top dollar.

Paying top banana's implies a trouble free high quality fit and finish product and great customer support that goes the extra mile.

Where is that?

It seems to me that TTI is taking advantage of the fact that mopar guys are used to paying top dollar.

is that in an early A body ?? 63/64/65/66 ?? are those hooker 5208 ??? then that is normal for those headers in an early A..

why is it normal who knows,,what ever car they used fro mocking up there jig,or what evr motor mounts,,doesnt match any early A,,in the real world.

i instaled a pir of those back in the late 1980s, what we did was this cut a hald moon or half rounded cut out of that cross member,take enough out for clearance, then take a piece of flat stock and form or bend it to match the shape of the cut,hammer it in the area that you cut out and weld it in place,many guys have done the same thing,

it sure makes a nicer fit and less trouble then cutting the header up to reposition every thing,,and bending it down only makes it harder to get a pipe to fit with out hanging down and being visable

Paying top banana's implies a trouble free high quality fit and finish product and great customer support that goes the extra mile.

Where is that?

It seems to me that TTI is taking advantage of the fact that mopar guys are used to paying top dollar.

BINGO!

The adapters were cheap enough at $65.00, but the exhaust system was $500 or something. Which is a lot of money for aluminized pipe. Mustang guys get stainless for that much (oh, and it fits).

fstfsh: This is in a '71 Dart.

-
Back