So when do you think they should have stopped?

-
I guess you don't have to be real bright to drive a tow truck.

And this was not done by the tow driver. This was done by the driver of the Windstar. They called a tow because they had a flat. That would be an understatement.

You have to be kidding. Someone driving this thing down the road did this damage?

well it looks like its your fault because its at your shop and u did not put the valve stem caps back on . lol just messen

Yep, there's idiots out there.

I remember a few years ago I was driving at dusk and came up behind a VW Golf that had a flat back tire. I got up closer and realized the tire was off the rim. All of a sudden sparks started shooting out at my truck. I sped up to get beside the drive to yell over and get him to pull over. It took me a long time to finally get him to look over, I called out a bunch to him, but he wouldn't pull over. Finally I pulled back behind him and flashed my lights at him a bunch because I honestly thought he hadn't noticed, and I was willing to help him change it. He finally pulled over, so I pulled behind him and got out of my truck. He started screaming at me about, What the hell was my problem and all this, so I explained he had a flat and was grinding the rim down. He replied with, "Yeah, I know that! I was trying to get to a friends house to deal with it there, but thanks to you, you ruined my motivation up the hill." I guess he was willing to get in an accident with someone else instead of getting it towed.

We had a 02, 1500 Dodge pickup towed in that lost it's passanger side wheel.Well it lost more than that. There weren't any wheel bearings left at all, the spindle was worn almost in two. When the wheel finally let go it also bent the upper and lower control arms. The owner said it never made any noise just fell off.Looking at the tire(negitive camber to the cords) he had to have driven it for days or even weeks like that.
I also worked for a company that had front wheel drive salesmen cars.Had one salesman drive in and park, went inside never said a word. I went in and said "Paul is there something wrong with your car?" "No I don't think so ?" was his answer.There was no tire on the driver side rear, just a rim and not much of it.Same thing,, never heard nothing. I guess he never looks in the rear view mirror much.

70 DartMike,The salesman was driving a VW Rabbit in my above story !!!

I was thinking of welding a little material back on, grinding and buffing it to shape. I had to do that on a crankshaft keyway this week on a 91 Nissan. The keyway was so bunged up, it was buy a motor or weld and grind. Weld and grind, maybe he'll get another 22 years out of it?

Weld the 2 halves together and get another rim!! Boomissey, back on the road! Don't bother with tires, he wasn't using them anyway!! Geof

Sadly, I have seen this before. Had a Mustang come into our shop with the wheel AND rotor ground off like that.

More stupid people are out there.....

Lotta meat left on that wheel! If they could have caught it in a pot hole and flipped it, they might have got a few more miles wear out of that. LOL

I used to work for Hyster as a forklift mechanic and saw wheels come off quite often because the bearings went bad and they kept driving it and it was always the same thing, I never heard or felt any problem. The wheel just fell off. Got a call to check one at the local GP factory and when I got there the wheel was still on, just leaning real bad. All I had to do was jack it up and pull it right off by hand. Absolutely nothing at all left for bearings, races, or spindle nut (just powder), the hole in the wheel was also about 1" bigger than it should have been and the spindle was ground down to only about 1/2" diameter. No wonder the country is in the shape it's in with so many morons like we have

And this was not done by the tow driver. This was done by the driver of the Windstar. They called a tow because they had a flat. That would be an understatement.

I think my brain broke. I can't get my head around the logistics of how that even happens with out being drug by a tow truck.

-
Back