So you want to install Laser / Talon / Eclipse Buckets in your A?

-

74Dusted

Stock Piler of 340's
Reaction score
Years ago I performed a Talon/Laser/Eclipse Bucket install in an A-Body using Seat Tracks from a Furd Exploder

This time around, I'm going to reuse the Talon/Laser/Eclipse Seat Tracks (from here on out, known as T/L/E Buckets) to perform the install. That way the install can be performed using parts from just one donor vehicle, instead of multiple vehicles. I'll specify what mods need to be done, what parts are needed, etc.

The Mitsubishi Tracks match up pretty well with the A-Body Floor, but you will need to make 2 small spacers for the seat to sit correctly. The T/L/E Buckets are High Back seats that have side bolstering, full reclining function and both seats are capable of being flipped forward for rear passengers to access the back seat. Mighty comfy too! Oh and they have a small Seat Belt Retainer on the side, to hold the seat belt where you can reach it. No more dislocating your shoulder to reach back for the seat belt!

Can't find a pair of T/L/E Buckets? No problem, most Mitsubishis (and Chrysler badged mitsubishis) from the 1970's to mid 1990's have the same seats and tracks in them. Obviously each one is a little different, some are High Backs, Some are Low Backs, Some are Power, etc.

Stay tuned, I'll tell you everything you need to do, to install a pair of these in your A-Body. I have to finish up the install first, before I can tell you how to do it :glasses7:

Depending on how you want to install them, the following applies

---
WITH Center Console (Or Without, if you want the seats further away from the center of the car) :

You'll want to bolt the T/L/E Front Outer Track Mount/Hole (Left Front for Driver's Side seat, Right Front for Passenger Side seat) to the original Bench Seat Mount/Bolt Hole in the floorpan. This centers the seat between the door & Center Console, and gives you plenty of adjustment/slide length for both Front & Rear Passenger Leg Room.

You'll need a 1" Tall Spacer (ONE Spacer) for the Inside Front Mount, due to the step-down in the floor. Obviously this requires a new bolt hole to be drilled in the pan (and a strengthening plate to be installed for safety) Since the bench mount only used the outer corners.

The Rear Corners/Mounts of the T/L/E Tracks require no spacers, but will require 2 new holes to be drilled, because the track holes/mounts are 4.5" Further Back than the original Bench mount holes. Once again, add a reinforcement plate.

----

WITHOUT Console (Folks without a console can also install the seats in the "With Console" Position if they want.) :

position the seat tracks inboard of the original Bench Seat Mount in the floorpan. Parallel to the Front Bench Bolt Hole.

This requires Two 1" Spacers under the front of the tracks, one on each side, and will require 4 new holes to be drilled, as well as reinforcement plates.

Just like the "With Console" mounting position, it gives you plenty of adjustment/slide length for front & rear passenger leg room.

----

On my car, I have a console, so I'm installing the seats based on the first set of instructions.

Subscribed
I have found a set of the T/L/E bucket seats and Im waiting for the seller to contact me.
Keep up the good work! Cant wait to see some pics of the seats installed

Here's the finished install

Don't mind the old seat covers, I pulled those off of the seats from one of my other dusters and they haven't had a chance to form to the new seats yet. I plan on eventually upholstering them to match the rear seat, but I'm out of Vinyl (used the last of it for a new vinyl top) and there are no fabric stores left in this town anymore.

The handy little "Seat Belt Retainer" on the corner of the seat is nice, the seat belt no longer returns to where you can't reach it without pulling your arm out of place...ask me how I know this, I literally have dislocated my shoulder on multiple occasions reaching back for the seat belt.

Full Recline function.

Both Seats are capable of being flipped forward for rear passenger access.

Plenty of slide length on the tracks for short or tall people

Side Bolstering to keep you in the seat during hard turns.

Not to mention they're extremely comfortable and some of the most durable/long wearing seats you'll find. I have a Pair of em in my D50 (factory seats. just like the T/L/E Buckets, only Low Backs), and those poor buckets in the D50 have over 300,000 miles of wear on them, and the only damage is a little bit of tearing at the corners.

Sweet, Im going to pick up my T/L/E bucket seats tonight after work. $35 for the pair!

Damn them seats are nasty. See those cracks?

Cracks? There isn't a single crack, tear, rip or cigarette burn in those seats, I pulled them out of a low mileage 1st Gen Talon that I used to own.

Or are you talking about the dirt down in the corners and such?

-
Back