Soda or sand blasting????

-

Slappy

Reaction score
Looking for someone who does this type of service. I have some parts like control arms ,kframe, swaybar ect I would like to have blasted. I am also thinking of having my Demon I am restoring blasted. I live in Va. Can anyone give me a name and number of someone that might be in my area. Thanks.

Just to pass on some information, I have done some sand blasting, I'm a basic beginner, and I was planning on buying a soda blasting kit. Before I purchased I talked to someone who did this for a living. He did media blasting of all sorts (sand, plastic, oxide, soda, about everything) for several years. When I mentioned soda he advised against it, his experience was that anywere the soda got into that you couldn't get it out of, like where two pieces of metal overlapped would eventually rust in his experience. His first hand experience was with his son's truck that rusted out around the tail lights about every 3 years. He would clean it best he could, neutralize best he could, repaint and eventually it would rust again. I don't know if anyone else has had a similar experience but I wasn't willing to chance it and stuck with plain old sand. Good luck finding someone in your area. The professionals preference was plastic media.

I have done soda blasting at a previous job. From what I learned, soda is non corrosive. My boss had been doing it for years, no problems.

It was passed on to me from a restoration shop in Melton Fl. that you don't want to use soda. If the residue is not completely removed before painting that the paint will come off in sheets. There was a member who had this happen to his car but it was a while back.

-
Back