sold a car as is having issues now "maryland"

-

74demon

Reaction score
here the story i sold a car as is but didt do a bill of sale i sold the car for 1500 signed the tittle and gave guy key he gave me cash i drove away now days later he tells me he wants his money back said car needs 1200 to pass md inspection he said that car still mine cuss he didt re tittle it or fill out rest of tittle ...i say he stuck with the car anyone else think that or am i gonna wind up paying this guy back and geting car back? i honestly didt know needed 1200 worth of work told guy it was as is

here the story i sold a car as is but didt do a bill of sale i sold the car for 1500 signed the tittle and gave guy key he gave me cash i drove away now days later he tells me he wants his money back said car needs 1200 to pass md inspection he said that car still mine cuss he didt re tittle it or fill out rest of tittle ...i say he stock with the car anyone else think that or am i gonna wind up paying this guy back and geting car back? i honestly didt know needed 1200 worth of work told guy it was as is

as crappy as it is for the guy who bought it, ALL private sales are considered "as is" unless otherwise stated. The fact that no receipt was written doesn't matter. As long as you HONESTLY didn't know the extent or repairs, he doesn't have a legal leg to stand on (from what I've surmised watching Judge Judy:-D).

The buyer has the responsibility to inspect the car before $ changes hands. He would have to convince a judge that you were deceptive with your original description of the car, and knowingly did not disclose problems.

However, the right thing to do would be to come to a compromise - offer him some $ back, or offer to fix the problems if it's reasonable. But, only offer what you think is a reasonable compromise - he shares some blame for buying a hunk of junk w/o properly investigating what he's buying.

BTW - is English not your first language? Judging by your terrible grammar, I'd say you just learned it a week or so ago:toothy10: joking!

I would not do anything. You solod the car As-Is. Which means you are selling the car the way it sits, no matter what the problem is. It is the responsibility of the buyer to check the car out. Weather it is to test drive it or take it to someone to have it checked out. You said it was As-is and thats it. Just my 2 cents.

nah on cell phone so less i got to type better off i am lol...i know thats the right thing to do but he wast very nice on the phone...i don't have anything that said it was as is just some things that guy knew it wast inspected

He purchased the car as is... I f u think for one second a judge is gonna grant him his money back b/c he bought a classic ur wrong. He's lucky to have drove the car away!

AS IS is AS IS, As long as you did`nt misrepresent the car, tell him sorry it`s yours now. If he and you both live in maryland, and you did`nt tell him it would pass inspection, your in the clear. Your states cars have to be in tip top shape to pass inspection. one inital lifelong inspection. the buyer needs to realize that. Your call, feel guilty? do what`s right in your heart:argue:

wast a classic just yet 93 ford probe gt 16 year old car lol only thing i got is he asked would it pass inspection i said i don't see why it wouldn't but that was over a tex msg Verizon already told me what it said and there holding it for me if i need it sent to me

He has nothing, you have nothing to worrie about it unless the vehicle had frame damage...Just tell him if he does not switch the title out of your name then you will report it stolen and take the car back and keep his cash....I would try to work something out with him first, and maybe have him take it some where else for inspection?

I know danmc is wondering the same thing ... did you place that ad from your cell phone as well? ;) Good luck with your situation.

yeah i did thats why pics are crappy to but do what you have to to make money and gain info

your prolly in the clear! Dont worry about it. Tell him you are not a car dealership and even if you were he wouldnt get his **** back! He cant expect you to give him his coin back after he had your car for a few days.. Hell he prolly killed someone in it or did a bank job! F that!

yeah i sure hope so he overheated the car once the car had a switch hooked to the fans from the guy i got it from and the guy i sold it to told me he for got to turn switch on

Always get a bill of sale, he could kill someone and it will be your *** the cops will look for....Get the title fixed asap dont take a chance..

Yeah...or pull a bank job then give the car back.

wast a classic just yet 93 ford probe gt 16 year old car lol only thing i got is he asked would it pass inspection i said [i don't see why it wouldn't] but that was over a tex msg Verizon already told me what it said and there holding it for me if i need it sent to me
Then you made him believe it would pass inspection. moral issue now.:angry7:

he has tittle i signed it over i don't want to have a bad sale but this guy knew when he got the car it was as is bill of sale kind of useless with out me or him signing it i know he wont sign it now ... i really did think it would pass inspection car ran great i used it daily

Then you made him believe it would pass inspection. moral issue now.:angry7:

How wold he know it wold or wouldnt pass inspection? Unless u r a certified inspector by the state of MD.... Other wise u sold it as is!

5 bucks at dmv to fill out form cars sold and tags are out of your name. see if a car lot will ever refund your money. lol

Does MD DMV have a release of liability form? In CA, it is attached to the title or you can go online to fill it out (which is much better).

im going for my license in february ...but i never went over car didn't care enough its a ford nothing against it but mopar are what i like

-
Back