Solid Core Wires

-

bobscuda67

Reaction score
I was thinking about changing my suppression core 7mm spark plug wires with some solid core wires. I don't care about radio noise but I've read that they can interfere with a ignition module. I have a FBO unit mounted on the left side inner fender well, between the battery and the washer bottle. Anyone have a story good or bad on using the copper core wires?

I use a Vertex Magnito and copper wires on my 440 scamp, I really don't care about the radio(deleted), but it interferes with the neighbors TV.

Every cop will know you are coming, It will interfere with their radios.

Back in my cruising days, one of the guys was running solid core wires and got pulled over by the po-po..

The cop informed him that those wires were illegal for the street and that he needed to change them. Luckily let him off with a warning. Then before walking back to his car said, "by the way, you're firing on all cylinders..."

It depends on which FBO box you are using. If its the original mopar style box your good. I have run a Standard mopar ecu with solid wires with no issues. If its the box he placed an HEI module inside I'm not sure if it would interfere.

Had to turn off the engine in the drive-thru once. The solid cores were messin with their intercom.

I never saw any real advantage, I ran them because that's what I had.

I used to run solid core wires with a Mallory Distributor. Really messed up TV's. Now I use Taylor Spiro-Pro wires on everything. They are solid core but do not cause electronic interference.

Taylor Spiro-Pro Spark Plug Wire Sets 74271

I tried running solid wires with MSD AL6 and it didn't like it at all. The initial wiring was long enough to where you could move the unmounted box outside the engine compartment it would smooth out. Move it back next to the inner fender wells and it ran like crap.Plus the electronic speed o meter would completely flip out.:wack:

I hadn't thought about messin wit the cops. I'm gonna run solid core wires on the rat truck. lol

-
Back