Solid roller lifter choice?

-

340Duster247

Reaction score
I know this is a place you don't wanna skimp out too much but what's a good street/strip SR lifter? Im switching to a solid (never ran one before) and want to make sure I get the correct part. I just started to research this topic and noticed theres alot more to it then I thought....some require clearencing the block, some don't..axle oiling/splash oiling and issues at max lift... . I wanna get the right lifter without breaking the bank to hard..
I've yet to order a cam waiting to hear back for a custom grind.
Combo
12.3:1
Trick flow heads
Super Vic intake
1.6 rockers
4300stall 9"
4:30 gear
Thanks guys

What us your budget?
$300-$1200 is the range .
There are affordable lifters that will last, in their app.
Figure out the cam then springs... then lifters.

Looks like a pretty stout build that you put some serious $$ into. Don’t skimp now. Spend the coin on a reputable lifter.

Might look into Johnson roller lifters. For the last 5 years I’ve had a set in my amc 390 with 750 lift, block is not bushed and engine has 90 psi cold and 60 hot. Correct diameter and oil hole location. Around $600

Johnson Lifters Home Page

To what ssg_karg said, Good way to fall into a money pit.
Then take that crank and toss it for a callies.

Buy what you need, buy what's suited for the spring psi reccomended by the cam grinder and you'll be fine.

Morel are my favorite and manufacture for most other brand names.

Call Herbert Cams, get a cam recommendation and they can tell you what parts you will need. I run their solid roller.

I don't wanna be a cheap skate and I'll spend the money where needed I just don't know the difference between all the choices and what's required or not. Axle oiling? Definitely don't wanna be grinding...

Call Herbert Cams, get a cam recommendation and they can tell you what parts you will need. I run their solid roller.
What size wheel is on the Herbert lifter? Require clearancing the block? I will be in the market for a set very soon myself so will be watching.

I don't wanna be a cheap skate and I'll spend the money where needed I just don't know the difference between all the choices and what's required or not. Axle oiling? Definitely don't wanna be grinding...
You're going to see differences like the wheel size the pin diameter whether or not there's wheel oiling or axle oiling whether or not they're lightened or have multi passages for oil to Splash or run into to lubricate the roller again pretty redundant..cup height. Lifter height...etc..
Just pay attention to what they look like in the design... a lot of them actually do feed oil toward the axle or needle bearings.
Which is another difference wheel on axle or needle bearing wheel and axle w/bushing.

Good way to fall into a money pit.
Then take that crank and toss it for a callies.

Buy what you need, buy what's suited for the spring psi reccomended by the cam grinder and you'll be fine.

Morel are my favorite and manufacture for most other brand names.

Waiting to hear back from bullet , they were recommended from a friend who builds very stout Mopar engines. I was also looking at the Lunati 40200734 as MRL has had very good luck with that stick..the Lunati roller lifter I haven't heard much about and might require grinding.

You're going to see differences like the wheel size the pin diameter whether or not there's will oiling or axle oiling whether or not they're lightened or have multi passages for oil to Splash or run into to lubricate the roller again pretty redundant.
Just pay attention to what they look like in the design a lot of them actually do feed oil toward the axle or needle bearings.
Which is another difference wheel on axle or needle bearing wheel and axle

Thanks hahaha now I'm really confused :steering:

What size wheel is on the Herbert lifter? Require clearancing the block? I will be in the market for a set very soon myself so will be watching.
They have a big wheel and a small wheel, depends on the application.
Every roller lifter I've ever bought used scene needed at least one bank to be clearanced for some kind of casting Flash, on a stock factory block.

And do not forget to buy a tool to measure the push rod length!
Not much money (20.00) to save a ton of expense and final headaches.
And with the 1.6 rockers you most likely will be calling Smith Brothers.

And do not forget to buy a tool to measure the push rod length!
Not much money (20.00) to save a ton of expense and final headaches.
And with the 1.6 rockers you most likely will be calling Smith Brothers.
Yeah, Smith Brothers did my last set.

Don't skimp. Only buy a lifter with a wheel .810 or bigger. The .750 wheel on Chrylser sized cores is an issue.

Crane Pro Series. Not the cheap Crane.
Crower
Isky
Bam

Don't skimp. It will bite you in the ***.

What YR said
just what I was going to post
810 wheel gives mopar an edge, don't give it up
cam is better if it is designed for the larger wheel
you know me
I'd ask Mike Jones
his inverse radius profiles are the best, hand ground with a 5" wheel gives an advantage theothers will not match

I have these in my build only ones that would fit for my set up but a good quality lifter. Forget the wheel size but great company to deal with. Tried crower but the t bar wouldn't clear.
6919-16 Chrysler 318-340-360 w/pushrod oiling

I'd have rather used the 6942 lifter and had been glad to pay the extra money for them.

What did the tie bar hit with the Crower lifter?

I think I did get those ones since I have the ritter block would have to find the receipt and look. It was hitting on the block since the crower t bars are on the block side where these ones the t bar is on the inside of the lifter valley side. I'll see if I can find the part number I bought, it's been a while. Okay just logged on it was the 6919 ones.

20181206_123141.jpg

Last edited:
I'm now learning about the valley being "tubed". What's the deal with that. Is it still nessacary? I read there are lifters the market that eliminate the need for this mod?

Where can we get the MRL pro sport lifters now? I believe they are a BAM product? Who's the best to get them from?

-
Back