SOLID roller lifters for a 5.7L hemi

-

hemijoejr

Reaction score
Ok, I have been playing with this idea for a while and was wondering if one of you guys had the ear of a Chrysler engineer. I don't think so but it's worth the shot. I don't want to spend the $3200 to Je$el for solid roller lifters for my Hemi and for .650 to .700 lift and 7500rpm, I really don't need them. I had thought of pulling the guts out of a stock lifter and making an insert for it to make it solid. The problem I am having is the bearings and axles and lack of knowledge about their makeup and materials. Sure I can make them solid but would they hold up in the long run to the abuse. The hydraulic roller has constant contact with the cam so when it lifts there really isn't any shock involved but on a solid cam the lifters get pounded into. I'm going to buy a set of Harland sharp roller rockers and have been conversing with comp on a new cam. (shooting for a stock displacement 5.7L Carbureted Naturaly aspirated engine in the 600hp plus range) and for the people who say you can't do that with stock internals, it dosn't have stock internals. I'm making between 525 and 550 with it now so a cam and intake would probably do it. Any help would be appreciated!!! Thanks!! Joe :joker:

Ok, I have been playing with this idea for a while and was wondering if one of you guys had the ear of a Chrysler engineer. I don't think so but it's worth the shot. I don't want to spend the $3200 to Je$el for solid roller lifters for my Hemi and for .650 to .700 lift and 7500rpm, I really don't need them. I had thought of pulling the guts out of a stock lifter and making an insert for it to make it solid. The problem I am having is the bearings and axles and lack of knowledge about their makeup and materials. Sure I can make them solid but would they hold up in the long run to the abuse. The hydraulic roller has constant contact with the cam so when it lifts there really isn't any shock involved but on a solid cam the lifters get pounded into. I'm going to buy a set of Harland sharp roller rockers and have been conversing with comp on a new cam. (shooting for a stock displacement 5.7L Carbureted Naturaly aspirated engine in the 600hp plus range) and for the people who say you can't do that with stock internals, it dosn't have stock internals. I'm making between 525 and 550 with it now so a cam and intake would probably do it. Any help would be appreciated!!! Thanks!! Joe :joker:

Just make sure you do your homework on the Je$els b/c they require extensive head work to make them fit... I would contact dacamman on Lxforums he is literally the valve train guru on these Gen III he works at Howard's.

I talked with one of the tech's that had the oprotunity of tearing down the BES 700 hp Engine Master's build. The Jessel setup use's old school technology and pumps the lifters through a side hole in the lifter and oil is filled to the lifter through the lifter galley instead of being top oiled. They can only spin the motor to 6500 rpm as per rules of the contest which I feel the lifters gave out around 5800 rpm, however I'd like to see the complete dyno sheet.

If you want to get as close to a solid lifter using hydraulic's I would recomend this....Either buy yourself new lifters or disassemble and clean your current ones to make sure there is no oil under the cup and the bottom of the lifter.

Get yourself adjustable pushrod checkers. One for the intake, one for the exhaust.

With the pushrod checker, bottom out the pluncher on the lifter to zero lash.

Most engine builders would then subtract between .020"-.040" depending on the ramp rates of the cam and then order custom pushrods. It's an old Stock Eliminator trick thats been used since the early 70's and still works today.

Harland Sharp has adjustable roller rockers for 5.7L and 6.1L Hemis. They range in price from $1600.00 to $1800.00.

You can find them here:

http://www.harlandsharp.com/hemi.htm

That being said, who makes a solid roller for a 5.7L-6.1L Hemi?

Regards,

Joe Dokes

No one makes a solid roller lifter for our new Hemi's yet, however I can't see why you couldn't use their adjustable rocker with a hydraulic lifter?

I know from looking at past posts, from other forum experiences with the few Harland Sharp rockers released that the needle bearings have failed from too little material and lack of rocker tip/roller oiling issues. May be the reason why Harland Sharp hasn't released them to the public yet? I hope Harland Sharp hasn't givin up yet.

No one makes a solid roller lifter for our new Hemi's yet, however I can't see why you couldn't use their adjustable rocker with a hydraulic lifter?

I know from looking at past posts, from other forum experiences with the few Harland Sharp rockers released that the needle bearings have failed from too little material and lack of rocker tip/roller oiling issues. May be the reason why Harland Sharp hasn't released them to the public yet? I hope Harland Sharp hasn't givin up yet.

The adjustable rockers won't work because of the oiling system. The lifters lube backwards from the rockers through the pushrods and then to the lifters. I'm not saying it can't be done, I have been told it can't be done so many times If I had a dollar for every time I heard it I would be rich!!! 9 out of 10 times I prove them wrong. The BES engine's oiling system must have been modified to lube the lifters through the MSD galley when they used the Je$el rockers. I didn't know about problems that they had with the Sharp rockers. I heard that the Arrington rockers have problems with keeping the rocker ratio.

-
Back