Solid Spacer Install

-

moparspares

Reaction score
I am installing solid spacer in my 8 3/4. Great start when I am having trouble removing rear pinion bearing. I have tried pulling it with a pic and using a magnet but having no luck. Is there an easy way on popping this sucker out. I might add I am lying under car trying to do this.

Third member must be out of the car to do this. Remove diff, remove pinion nut and pinion will slide out. Rear pinion bearing is pressed on so you will need a bearing separator too. Good luck.

Third member must be out of the car to do this. Remove diff, remove pinion nut and pinion will slide out. Rear pinion bearing is pressed on so you will need a bearing separator too. Good luck.

I dont think we are talking the same thing here. Im talking about the bearing right underneath the pinion yoke/seal. It is probably called front bearing rather than rear - my mistake.

I need to take the seal out if u haven't done that yet. They fit fairly snug on the pinion and can be a bear to remove. Try a pick on each side. Kim.

I am installing solid spacer in my 8 3/4. Great start when I am having trouble removing rear pinion bearing. I have tried pulling it with a pic and using a magnet but having no luck. Is there an easy way on popping this sucker out. I might add I am lying under car trying to do this.

i take it you are working on a 489 case --- you have to remove the center section from the car and then remove the carrier from the case -- then remove the yoke and press the pinion out of the case -- you cannot install the solid spacer or the stock crush sleeve from the front of the case even if you get the bearing out as the o.d. of the solid spacer or crush sleeve is too big to fit into the case from the front --- also to check pinion bearing preload properly the carrier and ring gear have to be out of the case --and you may have to remove the pinion several times to get the shim selection with the solid spacer correct for the proper pinion bearing preload --- used bearings 8 -15 inch pounds
you might as well install all new bearings /seal into your diff at this point.

-
Back