*Solved Crank shaft bolt not threading in...... ***Repost from my build for visibility

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skeeter007

Skeeter007
Reaction score
So interesting problem today. I picked up some hardware for the crank and the crank bolt won't fit.
When I try to thread it in it just won't take and gets jammed. This is by hand though. I don't want
to add any torque to it until I consult with you guys. The threads on the bolt seem to be nice and
uniform. The crank threads I can't get a good read on but obviously there is a problem. I'm thinking
I need to chase the threads in the crank shaft. Or do I put a little elbow grease into it with a socket
and ratchet?

Description from the seller.
Reproduction Harmonic Balancer to Crankshaft Bolt and Washer Hardware Package for all 58-79 Big Block Engines only. Made to OEM Specs with “NO” Markings as Per Originals. Made in the USA.

Please see build in signature

tempImagevyJmQD.png

tempImageill1R3.png

Last edited:
To be on the safe side you should chase the threads on the crankshaft. The threads on the bolt pictured look correct, but bolt looks short to me. 65'

You could light try to tighten it by hand but stop if the effort goes up. I would buy a bolt with the correct thread and see if it goes in. This would tell you if the repro bolt is good or not. You could also check the bolt threads with a thread gauge. A light chase of the threads would be ok but seeing as its a new bolt I would lean towards running another bolt in first. I believe it is 3/4-16 NF.

You might coat the bolt lightly with anti seize while you’re messing with it. If there is a burr in the crank it will keep the bolt from making it worse. You might find that it cleans up or might find it gets worse. If the latter, stop chase threads and continue.

Ok thanks guys. I wanted to check with you guys before I started any procedure. I took advice of both of you and chased the threads and used a little lube. Wire brushed the bolt. Then worked the bolt in with some lube. I worked the bolt in and out till it was fully seated. Looks like there was a lot of material caught in the threads of the crank that wasn't visible. Thanks guys.

Last edited:
This is how a good community operates. Although not new anymore I and other still come up against problems and the good folks here dole out the information and experience. As this is my first 440 engine build I'll be back with more noob engine build questions. Thanks again!

Those first couple of threads look rough to these old eyes in the first picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back