Some bling for the Wife’s 72 dart.

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
We picked up this 72 Swinger some time back and it had some issues.
It was immediately apparent that it had a valve train problem from the noises it was making in spite of the freshly cut off muffler to try and hide it.

It was a completely stock 318 two barrel car with single exhaust.

Sure enough the cam was missing most of a lobe.
I pulled it apart, rinsed out the motor as best I could and put a used 340 grind cam in it with new MP lifters I had sitting around.
Also put in a new double roller timing set.
It ran and drove fine but had low oil pressure. (5-10 at idle with 20/50 and about 35 running down the road)
This wasn’t a surprise as I knew that metal off the cam and lifter had to have taken its toll on the bearings.

The Wife wanted the white LED backlit gauges like my Dart has, and the radio section had been cut previously.

A friend has a 71 Dart that he was swapping to a tubular K frame a fresh built 440, so he donated his mild built 318 to this car.

I pulled the Weiand Accelerator 4 barrel intake, cleaned it up, painted the block a put it all back together as the two barrel single exhaust it was, but with a little bling.

The car runs and drives again with good oil pressure.
It is registered, licensed and insured so it can sit in the driveway for months at a time without even being started. :D

Last edited:
OK, tell us what's in the "mild build".

OK, tell us what's in the "mild build".

I have no idea and neither does the guy I got it from.
All I know for sure is the valve springs are not stock and it has slight lope to the idle.

I have no idea and neither does the guy I got it from.
All I know for sure is the valve springs are not stock and it has slight lope to the idle.

Yep, the 440 in my truck is like that.
Performer intake, headers, and a slight lope.

No earthly idea what else is in there.

-
Back