Some gas cap pics fror reference.

-

Oldmanmopar

Going left turning right
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
These are pics of gas caps. From left to right is , left 70 back to 67, next 71 only, next 72-73, next 74 - 75, 76 not pictured but have some I also have plastic caps taken from 76 fold down rear seat cars had two both had same caps. I postet these for reference if any one is interested in the difference. Caps are not interchangable from 67-76 as many venders selling them claim. Steve

Attachments

• DSCF2705.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 319
  • DSCF2699.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 295
  • DSCF2700.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 289
  • DSCF2701.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 307
  • DSCF2702.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 293
  • DSCF2703.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 294
I found more gas caps upstairs yesterday besides the ones pictured for reference. there are over 35 here. I can list some if there are interested members.

Got one for a '72 Duster?
Thanks for this timely post. I have a '74 cap on it now and it doesn't fit "just right".
C

Oldmanmopar,
Thanks for the info. I've been around these cars all my life and never realized there were so many variations. I guess I never had any reason to notice until now.
I do have a question for you. I have a '71 Scamp I am installing a new tank in. My original tank had the 4 vent tubes and used the 1 year only cap you show above. I have an new early style tank (with NO vent) that I am going to use since I already have it. I have done away with all the vent system on the car. My question is; Are only the '70 and earlier caps vented? If so can I modify my cap or a later style cap to vent it? I have earlier and later model parts cars I can get the filler neck from if necessary.
Thanks for your help,
Dallas

If you look at the pics 70 and earlier are nonvented. 71 and later are vented. I put a 73 tank in my 71 and I kept the 71 filler neck and cap on the car. What I did was drilled a hole in the filler tube. put a fitting in it and used a 1970 duster vent tube. On the other car I didn't put the vent tube in and it made no difference. So just use your 71 tube and cap. Steve

Thanks for the info!

I can't recall what the underside of my cap looks like but I want to say its a 70 style.....which would explain why it fits weird in my 72.

If you look at the pics 70 and earlier are nonvented. 71 and later are vented. I put a 73 tank in my 71 and I kept the 71 filler neck and cap on the car. What I did was drilled a hole in the filler tube. put a fitting in it and used a 1970 duster vent tube. On the other car I didn't put the vent tube in and it made no difference. So just use your 71 tube and cap. Steve

Thanks for the info. I'm going to have to use a different filler tube as mine had some 'surface rust' from sitting around so long, so I soaked it in vinegar for awhile (too long, lol) and it now has some pinholes in it.
I'm also curious now as to how the early (pre '71) system vented since the tank didn't have the vent tubes like a '71 or the single vent tube (like '72-up) and the caps aren't vented, either.
I'm going the opposite direction as you did, I'm putting a '68 style tank that has no vent in mine.
I appreciate your input,
Dallas

71 vented through the oil breather on the motor. This went through the tube coming through the trunk floor with the 4 hose's. If you look at the pics the 71's were vacuum vented not pressure, These cars had what they called collision impact protection. Thats right where do you think the fuel went. And why do you think they discontinued it. Dome light???

71 vented through the oil breather on the motor. This went through the tube coming through the trunk floor with the 4 hose's. If you look at the pics the 71's were vacuum vented not pressure, These cars had what they called collision impact protection. Thats right where do you think the fuel went. And why do you think they discontinued it. Dome light???

That's the system I have eliminated on my car. I didn't like the possibility of gas fumes going into the crankcase, either.

What I don't understand is how the pre-'71s vented since the tank doesn't have a vent tube like the post-'71s and they use a non-vented cap also.

I can't use my original filler tube since it's rusty. I am going to use a new tank I have that I bought for a '68, then didn't use. So I need to know what other filler tube and cap will work.
Thanks,
Dallas

How would we bypass this to make a 71 safer?

-
Back