Some help with gear pattern?

-
It is a Dana sure grip. I will post some more pics when I get started putting it back together.

I would also look to see if on the side of the ring gear has a 3 digit # stamped into it and the same # is found on the pinion. It could be on the head or on the side of the shaft, this is to make sure it's matched set.

Just what I was thinking. I've seen unscrupulous guys mix pinions and crown gears just to sell something. Not saying that's what happened but it's the first thing you should check cause if the ring and pinion isn't a matched set nothing you do will make it right

I can tell u from my experiences with the 741 case that 3.55 and 3.91 had approximately .030 back lash from the factory to get the pattern acceptable cause they didn't give a dam where the pinion was installed. I have tried to set backlash to .010 but the pattern was whacked like yours. You will always have noise with those gears even if u set the pinion depth deeper. U need atleast a .020 shim for the pinion. Kim

The pinion and ring gear do match stampings.
Thanks for the info on the backlash. I checked the back lash before I took it apart intially but I didn't check the pattern. I should have though. It does have about .040 shims on the pinion.

I can tell u from my experiences with the 741 case that 3.55 and 3.91 had approximately .030 back lash from the factory to get the pattern acceptable cause they didn't give a dam where the pinion was installed. I have tried to set backlash to .010 but the pattern was whacked like yours. You will always have noise with those gears even if u set the pinion depth deeper. U need atleast a .020 shim for the pinion. Kim
I have also heard this from another guy that I know that has been building 8-3/4's for 40 yrs. I have only had one 741 unit and it had a ton of backlash. I didn't measure it but I know it had to be at least .020 from the feel

-
Back