Some quick help please

-
Don't get me started on how easy the 904 is...

Personally, I would probably ask the transmission shop what I owed them for what they've done. and send it to Brewer's. There is nobody better with Mopar 4 speeds. Most local transmission shops do a thousand automatics for each manual.

I went over mine using a Chilton manual. I was an auto mechanic by trade, so had the tools and confidence for lack of a better word. A trans rebuild can be done with the manual, and the tools, and a basic knowledge of what is going on, I beleive its called "powerflow" in the theory books. There are wear items in there like bearings, bushings and synchronizes. My trans was hard to downshift into third, which was very annoying. It does help to know the symptoms so you know where to look. But an order of operations is to tear down, clean, inspect, then make a list and order parts, reassemble. As far as the mainshaft or output shaft being checked while still in the case, I believe there is a bushing that the yoke rides against so the main shaft would seem "wobbly" without the yoke installed. If you look at the yoke, you should be able to see where the bushing and seal ride on the seal surface. I just don't see how that output shaft would warp,or even twist without some major Horsepower, and even then, something else would give first like a universal joint. As far as the gear wear, low oil and heat come to mind.

-
Back