Something,a little different...

-

Abodybomber

Breaking street machines , since 1983.....:)
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Cruise night ,Santa Maria,Ca '86... We did the "80's cruise the strip,thing" Three cars involved: 81 Toyota 4x4 lifted( hot blonde bimbo, driving)/ 71 Ranchero 420 SCJ/ ( Started shot gun, car owner was riding with bimbo, obvious reasoning)/Brand new '86 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe..( black). The Thunderbird was driven by a well to do high school buddy( leadfoot central /budget be damned). Well it's time to go home(1:00-1:30 am-ish ..) Well: I get handed the keys to the Ranchero, buddy is looking at bimbo for the night... They leave ahead ,of the rest. So we leave together, the T-bird ahead of me in the Ranchero. The off ramp is a 270 degree banked curve . T T bird owner hit it at 90-100 -wish. It was, dewey and damp out. As most four link Fox body Fords do, the back end comes around. The car rolled nine times ,finally ending up on the grass upside down. Both occupants survived,the car actually was repaired & painted white... I have seen a lot of strange sh*t, never seen anything so graphically tragic at night.( watching those headlight go over & over,still haunts my mind at times.
If you have something similar, do share at your own admission...

On a bike ride one time, watched a guy run off the side of the road, hit a road sign.
The bike flipped several times in the air, this was a full dress heavy bike.
The guy broke his leg, I still remember him screaming in pain.

Driving to a Scout campout with, we saw a biker lady bounce of the guard rail in the center of Beeline Highway on the way to Payson...her leg was scraped up pretty badly.

I was riding with a guy who was a Game and Fish officer, so, by protocol, being the first LEO on the scene, he had to take control.

I tried to remember my Wilderness First Aid class and was having a hard time.
It was amusing to watch the handoff as variously qualified people arrived on the scene - an ER nurse showed up - I recorded vitals while she checked them. An off-duty EMT showed up and started to do a more thorough exam. He wanted to cut the leg on the lady's jeans - she started hollering 'Don't cut my pants. Do NOT cut my pants. I do NOT want my pants cut.' He explained that he needed to get a better look at her leg, and that her jeans were trashed anyway. (Me personally? I didn't want him to cut off her jeans...she was a big ol' gal).

10 minutes or so later, the on-duty EMTs show up. They walk up, get the hand off from the off-duty guy, tag-team switch out, and they whip out scissors and "Don't cut my pants! Do not cut my..." <Zzzzziiiiipppp!> pants were split and an nasty bit of road rash shows up.

Shortly thereafter, we learned that (at least in AZ), if you're riding a motorcycle, and you have an accident, and you're not wearing a helmet, you get a ride in a helicopter to the nearest trauma center - whether you want/need it or not - hope your insurance covers it!
They shut down the road, loaded her in an ambulance, and drove her about a 1/4 mile to where the helo was able to put down.

A few months later, when I watched a mid 90s Mercury Grand Marquis come up to a red light looking to make a right on red, and could just tell he was going to run it...I got in front of the accident before he hit the kid in the little bitty chevy cruze, causing the kid to roll over, my Wilderness First Aid came back to me a lot better. Fortunately, no major injuries (seatbelt and airbags are a good thing when you need them), but that's a whole different story...

Inbound to Austin in Red on a Friday night, early 80's with my brother and our dates. Just reaching the upper/lower deck split by UT and see that the upper deck is closed with an Austin PD cruiser parked on the highway in the fast lane leading to the upper lanes, lights on and the officer actually leaning on the trunk. We are in the fast lane for the lower lanes. There are four lanes before the split- two upper and two lower.

And There is also an acceleration lane from the frontage road of I-35 South about a half mile before the split. . .

We are doing the double nickle with the cop there; here comes a lifted, tall wheeled Late 70's yellow Toyota pickup accelerating hard for the lower lanes. 3 people in the cab. He is staring right into my eyes and hammering it hard to get ahead of me into the lower deck. . . .

. . . .and never sees the police cruiser parked in the road. Officer sees the truck- stands up and starts waving his arms at it. . .more and more frantically as this juggernaut accelerates toward him and his cruiser.

I'm out of the throttle, nosediving on the brakes and downshifting...the cop dives out of the way...slow motion as the Toyota climbs the back corner of the cruiser and is airborne. . .and slow rolls left. . . And crashes down on its hood and top ahead and to our right about 50 feet, sparks flying. . .and slides into the divider about a couple car lengths ahead of us as we get stopped.

Cop saunters over to check on them, nobody really hurt. . .helps them crawl out and stand, then goes back to his car to call it in, I guess. His trunk is crushed to the asphalt. . .We're stuck there for a while until they get enough help to move traffic around him.

I know he was trying to put one over on the red muscle car, no doubt to impress his buds. You could see it in his eyes. . .

-
Back