Soon to be a Reverse Flow smoker...

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
Have a lot of research to do but hoping by the end of the year I am cooking on it...

Attachments

• 20150318_170416.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 281
Another frigging sideways picture...it is upright on my phone

So is that a single stage or two stage unit? How many cfm's at 90psi?

So.. Looks like similar to a UDS, but what's with the reverse flow? Fan forced?

Here's your pic upright....8)

Attachments

• Reverse Flow Smoker.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 221
Reverse flow.... So are you going to blow it out your @ss??? LOL!

What are the advantages of reverse flow?

In this case the sideways picture really shows me how the smoker will look,
You are going to lay it on the side and not straight up Right?

6pk2goDemon Now put that smoker back on it side and Photoshop a trailer under it...

So is that a single stage or two stage unit? How many cfm's at 90psi?

So.. Looks like similar to a UDS, but what's with the reverse flow? Fan forced?

A picture goes along ways....

View attachment 88ede2dd_ReverseFlowHorizontalSmoker-Cooker_.jpg

Here's your pic upright....8)

Thanks C

Reverse flow.... So are you going to blow it out your @ss??? LOL!

What are the advantages of reverse flow?

The above picture sorta explains how it works. The heat and smoke travel under the meat, thru an opening at the far end (from the firebox) and passes over the top of the meat. The chimney is on the same side of the smoker as the firebox...

Lol, Doug, just how many ways can you cook outdoors? I'm a fan of this type of thing.. In Fact, although I've never built any of them myself, I've got several outdoor cooking methods: my Bull Outdoor Products stainless steel gas grill, my stainless steel infra-red gas grill, my pellet grill, my kettle smoker, my Weber charcoal grill, my Big Chief smoker, maybe more, I forget sometimes! Lol. Oh yeah, my propane fired crab cooker (works great for oysters too)

Doug, Seeing all these postings about smoking different foods has really got me considering buying a smoker. I actually dragged the wife to look at some yesterday and she rolled her eyes at me. I think with a little more time, I may be able to convince her.

Lol, Doug, just how many ways can you cook outdoors? I'm a fan of this type of thing.. In Fact, although I've never built any of them myself, I've got several outdoor cooking methods: my Bull Outdoor Products stainless steel gas grill, my stainless steel infra-red gas grill, my pellet grill, my kettle smoker, my Weber charcoal grill, my Big Chief smoker, maybe more, I forget sometimes! Lol. Oh yeah, my propane fired crab cooker (works great for oysters too)
How many ways can you cook outdoors? Several...lol...I just would like to cook using logs for the heat/smoke source. I still have a few questions about the "stack effect"...just have not sat down and asked them yet. More on this below....
Doug, Seeing all these postings about smoking different foods has really got me considering buying a smoker. I actually dragged the wife to look at some yesterday and she rolled her eyes at me. I think with a little more time, I may be able to convince her.
You want me to start talking to you on FB about it? :D
If she is like Ernie all it will take is one good cook off of a smoker and she will be hooked. This mornings breakfast consisted of some of my bacon, some of my smoked cheese and some smoked salt & pepper.
I have only been doing this for a short while so take the following for what it is worth. The electric smoker I got does a good job when combined with a few things.
This is the smoker...http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0048HU34Y/?tag=joeychgo-20
Masterbuilt makes a two different generation electric smokers. The Gen 1, the one I have has fewer problems than the Gen 2. The Gen 1 has the control panel on the back, and at least on the 40" unit the exhaust is on the top of the cabinet. Using the chips loader it has is a PITA....so you get a pellet burning contraption.....
http://www.amazenproducts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AMNPS5X8 and use pellets.
Lot of folks, myself included, hook a mailbox up to the smoker
View attachment mailbox.jpg
to avoid the chance of grease dripping onto it and causing a flare up. This also allows you to "cold smoke" with it....which will allow you to smoke cheese and butter....and if you are into fish this is apparently the way to prepare a lot of it. And from what I have read the way bacon should be done is by cold smoke.
Everything we have had from the electric smoker was very good. The Tri Tip roast I cooked in it was very good.....the best ribs I have ever made came out of it....until I used the Big Green Egg for ribs. Whole different story. Ribs were fall off the bone tender...on my first try. Not saying that with some practice the ribs out of the electric unit would not be this good but....
Lot of folks on a few of the smoking sites I am spending time on like the electric smokers. They are simple to operate. Don't require a ton of space. Have the ability to run great lengths, we had a pork butt and a chuck roast in ours to make tamales that took over 24 hours to smoke. Results are very repeatable. But there is just something about using wood chunks for a fuel that is just hard to beat. The ribs that came out of the electric unit had a visible smoke ring...at times the pellet burning contraption looked like an old small block Chevy on a cold start up. The ribs that came off of the Egg had a much more visible smoke ring...an no smoke was ever seen coming out of it.
All that being said...my curiosity lead me to the desire to build a Reverse Flow smoker. If the Eggs food is that favorable and juicy you just gotta wonder what stuff cooked over logs is going to be like...
Sorry for the length....

I met a guy at a Christmas party this past year. He builds these. Advise he gave was to do a double wall fire box. And dont forget to add a small blower as well. He said you most likely will never use the blower but there will be a time you wish you had it.

I will be building one here soon as well. Think I can knock it out in a weekend, ready for the powder coated.

I met a guy at a Christmas party this past year. He builds these. Advise he gave was to do a double wall fire box. And dont forget to add a small blower as well. He said you most likely will never use the blower but there will be a time you wish you had it.

Planning on insulating the top/sides of the firebox. Going to build it off of the calculator numbers found on another site. The folks that came up with this calculator have been building Reverse Flows for a very long time. Few folks that I have been following there build on another site claim that if it is built to the numbers provided by the calculator it will work well. Lot of math in this thing.

One of the things that has been mentioned in several places is to make sure you have enough air intake into the firebox. And to split it 80/20. 80% of it on the bottom of the Firebox, feeding the fire....the remaining 20% in line with the Firebox to Cooking Chamber opening.....this is what helps push the heat/smoke thru the cooker.

Am fully expecting this to be a challenge....and for the first go around to end up in the scrap metal dumpster in town. Going to take me a lot longer than a weekend. Can only take being hunkered over for so long anymore. Lucky if I can get an hour at a time. My build is going to have to wait anyways. Have several more pressing issues to deal with. Have finally decided to plant some trees. Spent damn near 2 hours digging one hole for a 2 gallon potted tree a few days ago. Had to hoist a very large rock out of the hole. With the amount of rocks we have you pick a spot and dig...and deal with it. No sense in moving over a few feet...you will only hit another rock.

I have not finished building my Ugly Drum Smoker yet. Todays test will tell if I am done with it. But I am already planning on UDS V1.1....with several changes in mind. The beauty about the drum is they are only 16 bucks where I got them....so if you screw it up not much $$ is lost lol....

Planning on insulating the top/sides of the firebox. Going to build it off of the calculator numbers found on another site. The folks that came up with this calculator have been building Reverse Flows for a very long time. Few folks that I have been following there build on another site claim that if it is built to the numbers provided by the calculator it will work well. Lot of math in this thing.

One of the things that has been mentioned in several places is to make sure you have enough air intake into the firebox. And to split it 80/20. 80% of it on the bottom of the Firebox, feeding the fire....the remaining 20% in line with the Firebox to Cooking Chamber opening.....this is what helps push the heat/smoke thru the cooker.

Am fully expecting this to be a challenge....and for the first go around to end up in the scrap metal dumpster in town. Going to take me a lot longer than a weekend. Can only take being hunkered over for so long anymore. Lucky if I can get an hour at a time. My build is going to have to wait anyways. Have several more pressing issues to deal with. Have finally decided to plant some trees. Spent damn near 2 hours digging one hole for a 2 gallon potted tree a few days ago. Had to hoist a very large rock out of the hole. With the amount of rocks we have you pick a spot and dig...and deal with it. No sense in moving over a few feet...you will only hit another rock.

I have not finished building my Ugly Drum Smoker yet. Todays test will tell if I am done with it. But I am already planning on UDS V1.1....with several changes in mind. The beauty about the drum is they are only 16 bucks where I got them....so if you screw it up not much $$ is lost lol....

Yeah a lot goes into the planning. I will be using his blue print so all I have to do is build it. Not much thinking. I will be able to go get all the materials needed before I start so I can build it without stopping.

Thank you Doug, for the input. Its something Im going to look into, but not a huge hurry to do it. Like you I have other pressing things I need to attend to first. If and when Im ready I'll touch base with you and we can discuss further!

Yeah a lot goes into the planning. I will be using his blue print so all I have to do is build it. Not much thinking. I will be able to go get all the materials needed before I start so I can build it without stopping.

I have asked the maker of a very good calculator if I could "borrow" it and post it here.

No comment.

Frankie....you need to stop confusing me...pretty sure "no comment" is a comment. :poke:

Met some guy in town today....picked up a half of a pick up truck load of Maple firewood for it...

I had a reverse flow smoker when I was a kid. It was called a Texas Power Hitter.

-
Back