SOOO many questions

-

LS-300

Reaction score
I have a 68 notchback Barracuda. The left torsion bar has twisted out at the torsion cross member due to rust and it's former life as a drag car. I plan on reviving it for my driving pleasure. I will be rebuilding a 360 I have to have somewhere between 350 & 400 HP. It will be a manual transmission car 4 or 5 sp yet to be determined. I have a spool mouth k-member from a 73 Dart sport as the engine was out of a newer Chrysler and it has the spool mounts and the sway bar is tucked in nicely on that k-frame. I have a replacement torsion member ready to install that is in great shape and was carefully removed. I plan on taking the car to a shop that does Mopar frame work as the extent of work required and the possibility of screwing it up are not an option. The car is for "Sunday goto meetings" type of driving. It would be more likely to find me doing auto-X than drags. Having said all that! Now the questions:
To strengthening the chassis I plan on frame ties. Should I plan on torque boxes as well?
The flood pan will probably be replace as well due to the rust. Should I get a one piece or get the multiple ones?
I assume the torsion bars will need replacing. Any suggestions on what ones might be worth looking into? Ride height will be lower than stock but not slammed.
Should a rear sway bar be added? Diameter?
Any suggestions???

I was hoping someone here knew enough to assist.

everything you want to do is easy, kinda hard to screw up unless you really try, the k frame is held in with 4 bolts, crank down the torsion bars, pull the clips, get / make a removal tool, knock the bars out swap the k frame and bolt it back together, there is several threads outlining this, as for the floor boards if it's just the front pans, just replace them, but if all pans are shot you maybe money ahead to replace them all. and if your doing the road course then yeah I'd do a rear sway bar, size? I've no ideal, I'm sure someone will chime in on that. where in ohio are you?

I'd do a full floor pan, less seams to weld and seal. Use front and rear sway bars, 1 1/8th in the front and a 7/8ths in the back. Use the torque boxes! They came on the "heavy duty package" and are needed with the 360. Look for larger torsion bar, around 1 inch. Heavy duty rear springs and good shocks. Use the spool mount kframe and check the lower control mount pin sockets for wear. You might want to have the welds checked on the kframe and I wouldn't be surprised if the guy at the shop wants to reinforce the steering box mount and weld the kframe for strength. Will this car be power steering or manual? Make sure the box is in good condition! You might want to have the lower control arms reinforced to, they add a plate to the bottom to box the arms. I don't think too much of the adjustable struts, but that would be up to you. Will you be using disks on the front, if so use the larger 11 3/4" disks. Have fun!!

The steering will be manual. The entire front is off the 73 Dart Sport so it has the larger control arms and disc brakes. I plan on rebuilding all wear components as they probably need it. The big worry is replacing the torsion cross member. I want to make sure it's in correct as I don't need to have things out of alignment before the fun really starts. Don't want a dog track!
Would the frame ties and torque boxes make it too rigid or more stable?

-
Back