Sorry dumb magnum question.

-

MileHighDart

Reaction score
Working with my first magnum engine. Bought a '99 5.9 from a ram truck.
Starting to disassemble to do the manifold and pan swap.

I'm keeping the whole serpentine belt system, and was going to use the magnum fan and clutch.
Shouldn't I be able to grab the fan and turn it by hand? Right now if I grab the fan and try to turn it, it will actually turn the engine over. With my old '71 clutch fan you can rotate it.

Is this clutch bad?

you should be able to turn it, but you will have some resistance. i dont know what car you have, but in my 72 dart, the fan was about an inch and a half from the radiator and would'nt pick up enough heat to engage. i found a clutch for a late model 4.7 and put my ram fan on. put it about 3/4 inch from the rad. also, if you use a stock shroud, you will have to trim down the fan. dave.

Either the clutch is froze up or someone changed it to direct drive.

I went the LA direction so I have a perfectly good clutch if you need it.
Just pay the 13 or so shipping.
I also have the OE Sanden AC compressor and bolts put away in my shed with the ports plugged.

Either the clutch is froze up or someone changed it to direct drive.

I went the LA direction so I have a perfectly good clutch if you need it.
Just pay the 13 or so shipping.
I also have the OE Sanden AC compressor and bolts put away in my shed with the ports plugged.

Thanks Trailbeast, I may take you up on the clutch, just want to get it in, or mocked up and take some good measurements to see how far the fan may be from the radiator. I might have to do something like aaadave did. I'll let you know if I need it.
I was thinking it was locked up.

Thanks Trailbeast, I may take you up on the clutch, just want to get it in, or mocked up and take some good measurements to see how far the fan may be from the radiator. I might have to do something like aaadave did. I'll let you know if I need it.
I was thinking it was locked up.

Crap I just went out and looked and the clutch was another motor. (GM)
I have the water pump, pulley and AC unit for the magnum.
Sorry about the mix up.

-
Back