Sorry Guys, Leaf Springs again

-
P

Problem Child

I know you guys are tired of answering the same question over and over again, but new guys keep trying to build cars, and we have the same problems. Perhaps Mancini should include some directions with their product. Anyway,,,My 76 Swinger's springs are shot so I went with the SS's . I think I got the correct ones,, MOPP3690456 ( Right) MOPP3690457 (Left), If not they will have to do. Took forever to cut the u bolts off cause thirity year old nuts weren't coming off easy. Didn't have much trouble putting the eye bolts and brackets back on, but then I found a problem. There is a bolt or stud on the bottom of the springs, that I guess fits into the slot on the bottom bracket. Well, mine dont so the springs don't fit the bracket right and my whole weekend of work has been wasted so far. Well, not quite, but close. I put the spring with the most leaves on the passenger side (correct ? ) and used the same brackets that came off the old springs. I believe I have them installed correctly (now) with the shock mount to the rear and to the inside. Do I need to rotate the rear housing? Please help me. I have to get this thing rolling cause the city is all up my butt about a non running car. Won't some one please compile a list of answers to all of our rookie questions. It takes sooooo lom-ng going back through all the post. Anyway,,,Thanks for your help

The bottom shock plate should go right back on to the spring center bolt.
Check the holes in the lower plate. Make sure it's big enough for the bolt.
If not you may have to open it up more.

some of those springs come with the center bolt installed upside down. for shipping reasons,..... the threaded end with the nut goes to the bottom side of the spring .

install the spring to the to the axle first, then install the spring to the frame. That how i do it in with semi spring replacement. Also if you are just off a little bit, you could use a come along to pull the axle to get the bolt to drop into the plate. I am not quiet sure what you are having issues with........so i hope this helps a little.

Thanks for the help, I'll try again this weekend if the thunderstorms let up.

-
Back