Sorry Not a Mopar, Help Please, Thank You

-

JTG

Reaction score
If any of you Mopar guys own a 67-68 Mustang, please respond to my post, I just need to pick your brain on some simple things. I have no knowledge of Fords or Mustangs, just Mopar.
I'll send you a pm with my inquiries, I working with a 67 Mustang convertible 289 automatic C4.

I had a '68 coupe years ago (302-later a 351C, C4) and I had a '66 coupe(289, C4).

It's been a long time but I might have some memories left lol. You can PM me if you'd like, but you might be better off just posting your questions and seeing if anyone knows the answers...as long as you don't mind the snobs who can't accept non-mopar cars (even if they're classics like the '60s 'stangs):D

got a 68 convertible had a 289 in it. Put a 302 for now going to put the 289 back in after rebuild simply cause its the numbers matching motor. Shoot me a Pm

I've had both a 67 and a 68 Mustang. both were coupes, both were 289/c4, the 68 had a/c. Bought them both used. the 67 was 2 years old and the 68 was 3 years old when I bought them, sold both of them in 1975. Thankfully, I never had to do a repair on either of them. The only work they received was maintenance, and some elective mods that I did, like adding a 4 Bbl and intake, and headers to the 67, Keystone Klassic mags, that sort of thing.

I have already sent a few pm's to members, but what 95teetee suggests also makes sense. Here are my questions, first to recap I'm working with a 1967 Mustang convertible matching numbers 289 with C4 auto, the only modifications done to this car is a Petronix's eletronic ignition.

-The amber turn signal lights on the front of the car work as they should, but the running light that shares the same bulb will only work when the main headlamps are off or only when the driving lights in the grill are on, is this the way it comes from factory, shouldn't the running lights in the front also work with the main headlamps?

-I can't locate the fuel filter, is it housed in the carburetor where the fuel line enters? car has a 4barrel.

-What oil should go into this car? my thought was 10w40.

-I had the car out the other day and it seemed to handle and run well on the highway at 60-75mph, but when in the city it had a chugging, shuttering, wanting to stall action happening three different times, car was at operating temperature, I was at a dead stop followed by slight aceleration to go around the corner each time it happened, any thoughts on whats going on here.

Thanks any help is appreciated

I have already sent a few pm's to members, but what 95teetee suggests also makes sense. Here are my questions, first to recap I'm working with a 1967 Mustang convertible matching numbers 289 with C4 auto, the only modifications done to this car is a Petronix's eletronic ignition.

-The amber turn signal lights on the front of the car work as they should, but the running light that shares the same bulb will only work when the main headlamps are off or only when the driving lights in the grill are on, is this the way it comes from factory, shouldn't the running lights in the front also work with the main headlamps?

-I can't locate the fuel filter, is it housed in the carburetor where the fuel line enters? car has a 4barrel.

-What oil should go into this car? my thought was 10w40.

-I had the car out the other day and it seemed to handle and run well on the highway at 60-75mph, but when in the city it had a chugging, shuttering, wanting to stall action happening three different times, car was at operating temperature, I was at a dead stop followed by slight aceleration to go around the corner each time it happened, any thoughts on whats going on here.

Thanks any help is appreciated

Most Fords of that vintage have a fuel filter that screws in to the carburator. This is a picture of the most common fuel filter. There is a long skinny and a short fat filter. Picts below.

Attachments

• F2DA8FDB81BC4EA186930821F53D8EC8.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 141
  • $(KGrHqR,!r!E88gTnkm(BPRueEL!8g~~60_58.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 119
I have ran across a few in my lifetime that had a filter on the bottom of the fuel pump. The canister on the bottom of the pump looks is shaped like this.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqVHJ!8E7)u!G9ofBPDz2fIg,!~~60_3.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 130
This is the picture of an Autolite 4 bbl. carb listed as a 1967 with a 289. See the fuel filter like shown above.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqVHJC0E-P4zwS5+BPmI1Cb1pw~~60_58.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 134
I'm pretty sure that in 67 the parking lights only worked when the headlights were off. I seem to remember lots of discussions about 67 cars being this way. Lots of lighting laws changed between 1966 and 1970, almost every year.

I'm pretty sure that in 67 the parking lights only worked when the headlights were off. I seem to remember lots of discussions about 67 cars being this way. Lots of lighting laws changed between 1966 and 1970, almost every year.

My memory fades on this one but I always loved the amber lights in the hood louvers. Next to the 69 Mach I the 67 is my favorite Mustang.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqF,!pME--j2VWqnBP8i9PD+6g~~_4.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 132
my '68 was the same way- parking lights went out as soon as the headlights were activated.

and I would look for the filter like Okla is mentioning (I also seem to recall one of those brass filters in the carb inlet of one of my stangs)

My memory fades on this one but I always loved the amber lights in the hood louvers. Next to the 69 Mach I the 67 is my favorite Mustang.
my '68 had the signal light indicators in the hood too- loved that.

Thanks for the fuel filter references olkacarcollector, it does look like an Autolite carb but not the one you have pictured, the one thats on the car has a housing that looks more like a rectangular box. I still can't find a fuel filter anywhere on this carb, the brass one pictured is nowhere to be found, is it just a screen insert inside the carb that you just remove, clean and reinstall. I checked the fuel pump and it definitely has no filter under it, possible it is located somewhere underneath the car, because I didn'nt see it there either. I think I'm going insane.

thanks 66plyvaliant, will be doing 10w30 with some zinc additive.

Thanks for the fuel filter references olkacarcollector, it does look like an Autolite carb but not the one you have pictured, the one thats on the car has a housing that looks more like a rectangular box. I still can't find a fuel filter anywhere on this carb, the brass one pictured is nowhere to be found, is it just a screen insert inside the carb that you just remove, clean and reinstall. I checked the fuel pump and it definitely has no filter under it, possible it is located somewhere underneath the car, because I didn'nt see it there either. I think I'm going insane.

There are no other factory locations for the filter that I am aware of and I know these cars pretty well. So you have a steel line running from the fuel pump to that carb? How about posting a picture of the carb so we can see what you have? On some aftermarket carbs the screen would be a prefilter and there is a filter cartridge that goes behind that. If you have seen a quadajet carb it is a similar set up. If there is no filter in the system then I would cut the line and install one.

There are no other factory locations for the filter that I am aware of and I know these cars pretty well. So you have a steel line running from the fuel pump to that carb? How about posting a picture of the carb so we can see what you have? On some aftermarket carbs the screen would be a prefilter and there is a filter cartridge that goes behind that. If you have seen a quadajet carb it is a similar set up. If there is no filter in the system then I would cut the line and install one.

Hi O.C.C, sorry not able to take pics at the moment, the car has Autolite 4100 four barrel carb on it, looking at some photo references it appears that brass filter should be threaded on the left front corner of the carb where the fuel line enters. I've seen alot of cars in my time, but never one that someone is running without a fuel filter, why? is this something only an *** clown would do?:violent1:

-
Back