Source for speedometer drive seals??

-

Reaction score
Any one found a source for the O-ring and the inner seal for the speedometer drive? Mine keeps leaking into the cable and making a mess all over the floor and underside of the car. Looks to be leaking around the drive gear into the cable. Thanks!!

The inner seal is a problem seal a lot of the time. If you want it to NOT leak for good replace the inner seal with one from a mid 70's Chevy Turbo 400 trans. They are a spring loaded seal that keeps constant pressure on the speedo drive gear. I started using them a few yrs. ago due to repeat offending leaking inner seals. Use a thin coat Vaseline on it when installing.

BTW: More than likely you could have bought them cheaper from www.bulkpart.com or possibly even your local NAPA. Once in a while you can find a deal on E-bag but most of the time you get shafted cause e-bay selling fees are so outrageous people have to charge more for their stuff.

Thanks for the info!
I paid less than $10 shipped for both seals. But if it starts to leak again I will remember the Chevy seal!

Hi,
I ordered the seal and o-ring from NAPA, and neither are correct. The parts are the correct numbers and images as provided on there website, and from what the counter guy pulled up. BUT the O-ring is not even a o-ring, it looks more like the old seal, but is way too large. The seal is the type with a spring, but too large too.
The part numbers from NAPA are:
Seal ATP 1-5043
O-Ring ATP 1-7453

So I read the treads about using one from 73 chevy truck with 400 trans, looked the part number up for it on NAPA and it is the same part as above(ATP 1-5043). The OD is too large by about .12 and the ID is too large by .03
The outside rubber is so hard on the seal I can't get it to squeeze down to fit inside the gear at all. This seal looks more like a valve stem guide seal.

I will work with my NAPA friend to see if there is a "correct" number to order.

Hi,
I ordered the seal and o-ring from NAPA, and neither are correct. The parts are the correct numbers and images as provided on there website, and from what the counter guy pulled up. BUT the O-ring is not even a o-ring, it looks more like the old seal, but is way too large. The seal is the type with a spring, but too large too.
The part numbers from NAPA are:
Seal ATP 1-5043
O-Ring ATP 1-7453

So I read the treads about using one from 73 chevy truck with 400 trans, looked the part number up for it on NAPA and it is the same part as above(ATP 1-5043). The OD is too large by about .12 and the ID is too large by .03
The outside rubber is so hard on the seal I can't get it to squeeze down to fit inside the gear at all. This seal looks more like a valve stem guide seal.

I will work with my NAPA friend to see if there is a "correct" number to order.

Hum.. That's odd. The one I got fit perfectly but it's been a while since I bought one so I don't know if it was that part #. Not sure what O-ring your talking about. I just use the inner seal that seals up the speedo cable. As soon as I get a chance I'll stop by NAPA and check the part # and see what I come up with and post back. BTW: how did you find it on their website? I tried looking it up on www.napaonline.com and they didn't have anything listed.

I should have added that I am looking for the seal for a '65 A904. I have now discovered that the design was changed in 66. I did find some NOS ones, but fear the age may be an issue, and the $25 price. I am working with a place in Ohio rightn now. I ordered one for '65' but they sent me one for '66 and up. I am going to start asking for a 63 valiant and see what happens.

Pat Blais Transmissions
12050 15th Ave NE, Seattle, WA 98125
(206) 365-1966

Has the seals for the early 904 speedometer gears.

I should have added that I am looking for the seal for a '65 A904. I have now discovered that the design was changed in 66. I did find some NOS ones, but fear the age may be an issue, and the $25 price. I am working with a place in Ohio rightn now. I ordered one for '65' but they sent me one for '66 and up. I am going to start asking for a 63 valiant and see what happens.

Ok. That explains why the turbo 400 seal doesnt' fit. I'd be weary of NOS ones too unless their sealed in an air tight package which most weren't. If the place in Ohio doesn't work out try Pat Blais Transmissions like Grimreaper said. If Pat don't have it try www.bulkpart.com I looked at their website and bulkpart doesn't have one listed but call him cause Mike has a lot more than he has listed. He knows Mopars real good so if he doesn't have it I bet he can get it or know where to send you.

-
Back