South Carolina Mopars

-
I used to be in Summerville until just under a year ago when I moved out here to corn country. You may have seen my Duster out at Dorchester or Cooper River Dragways.

I'm hoping some day to get back there permanently.

Duster 2.jpg

Brad, I believe I have seen your car at Dorchester a few times. I used to (and still do sometimes) work security at the strip, used to be fun if the crowd would behave long enough to glimpse a car or two.

I am in for a run to Columbia (as long as I can get the car sorted out by the time everyone wants to do it) I still have to get a couple of hiccups out, and change the gears so I don't sound like I am running 125 when I am actually running 60. STEEP!! Anyway, I should have it all sorted out by the time the weather gets around to cooperating.

Brad, I believe I have seen your car at Dorchester a few times. I used to (and still do sometimes) work security at the strip, used to be fun if the crowd would behave long enough to glimpse a car or two.

I am in for a run to Columbia (as long as I can get the car sorted out by the time everyone wants to do it) I still have to get a couple of hiccups out, and change the gears so I don't sound like I am running 125 when I am actually running 60. STEEP!! Anyway, I should have it all sorted out by the time the weather gets around to cooperating.

What gear you're running now? I have the 3:55 with 28" tire. 3000RPM at 70MPH isn't to bad I guess. I don't do much interstate driving anyways. I would like to have another 489 case with 4:10 gears and just switch back in forth when I want to. I already have the green bearings which makes it easier.

This is a little something that I've found to determine MPH,RPM,TIRE,GEAR combinations.

http://vexer.com/68rt/speed.html

It looks like a Mopar dash!!

I believe I have a 4.10 in there, I also have reason to believe its spooled as well. LOL. Makes it a handful around corners, especially since my front end is worn out (another thing on the to do list). I could be talked into a swap with someone if they had something a little more street friendly available. I plan on getting into it to check next weekend as long as this freak weather ends by then.

Still, its fun to make the two tire fire and listen to the 400 raising hell in the smoke!

I have two 489 casings sitting here, 1 is a 3.23 non surgrip, and the other is 2.76 non surgrip sitting on a E-body axle. I also have a 742(?) 3.23 suregrip, that my dad said Im not allowed to sell, but would trade it for a casing with 4.30 suregrip gears.

I have two 489 casings sitting here, 1 is a 3.23 non surgrip, and the other is 2.76 non surgrip sitting on a E-body axle. I also have a 742(?) 3.23 suregrip, that my dad said Im not allowed to sell, but would trade it for a casing with 4.30 suregrip gears.

There you go 1970BBDart! The 2.76 would be very highway friendly. The 489 casings are the strongest.

I can't imagine working at Dorchester Dragway; it gets pretty rought out there in the sticks. Those boys out there play for keeps sometimes.

I heard that Low Country Dragway (the old Cooper River Drag Strip) closed down. I was sorry to hear that, it was the closest to Summerville and I don't recall ever hearing about any shootings or beatings there. Plus at least they had an ambulance there to load you in if something happened. Dorchester Dragway is a long way from a hospital to send a meat waggon to you if something happened.

I can't imagine working at Dorchester Dragway; it gets pretty rought out there in the sticks. Those boys out there play for keeps sometimes.

I heard that Low Country Dragway (the old Cooper River Drag Strip) closed down. I was sorry to hear that, it was the closest to Summerville and I don't recall ever hearing about any shootings or beatings there. Plus at least they had an ambulance there to load you in if something happened. Dorchester Dragway is a long way from a hospital to send a meat waggon to you if something happened.

LOL funny you should mention that. I once locked up a guy for shooting someone at the strip, and when I got back from booking him in at the jail, the guys were working ANOTHER shooting that happened while I was gone!
Things have calmed down out there a LOT in the last couple of seasons. We (the Sheriffs Office) started putting some heat on the owners and now its actually a place where you can take the wife and enjoy yourself. Still gotta keep away on Mothers Day weekend (for some reason thats when everyone still shows their *** out there on mothers day). Also, should we ever take a notion to do it, you can rent the track (privately) for a night and do your own thing out there without all the nonsense.

Let me double check the casing I have, maybe we can work a trade. Where in SC are you?

Im in Spartanburg. The 489 with the 2.76 gears is still attached to a E-body rearend, but I also have a 489 with a 3.23 gears. I also have a 742( I think) with 3.23 suregrip, Id trade for the same with a 4.30 gear suregrip.

Im in Spartanburg. The 489 with the 2.76 gears is still attached to a E-body rearend, but I also have a 489 with a 3.23 gears. I also have a 742( I think) with 3.23 suregrip, Id trade for the same with a 4.30 gear suregrip.

Ok, I am iking the idea of the 3.23. I'll check today

1970BBDart, I see you are in Charleston. I'm currently working in Charleston. Working on a historic renovation down on King St. about 4 blocks up from The Battery. I LOVE that town. Fell in love with it when I was at school at The Citadel.

Don't know how I missed this thread. I'm here in Union, I'd be up for a meet in Columbia one day this spring/summer.

Don't know how I missed this thread. I'm here in Union, I'd be up for a meet in Columbia one day this spring/summer.

Well hello stranger!

I haven't seen you on here in awhile or we just haven't ran into one another. Man the weather is getting nice... just got back from cruising around.. got a bunch of thumb ups.

Well hello stranger!

I haven't seen you on here in awhile or we just haven't ran into one another. Man the weather is getting nice... just got back from cruising around.. got a bunch of thumb ups.
Howdy, I've been around a little but haven't posted much. As far as the weather, 8) it is NICE! 8) Hard to believe me and the family was sledding in the snow monday! I'm outside, enjoying it while finishing up, putting a slant in my truck. Hope to fire her up this afternoon, and then light the grill and relax some more. Who knows, maybe tomorrow I'll do something on the Duster after church. Good to here from ya, and good to see such a crowd from S.C. on here.
Dietz

-
Back