Spare tire help

-

Murray

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Working on '68 cuda FB with E70x14 redlines. This oversize tire option causes the spare tire to stick up further from the spare tire well. This requires a longer hold down bolt to secure the spare. Mine is missing. The standard length is about 7 1/4". The parts book lists the proper one as 8 3/16". Does anyone have one I can purchase? See picture of "incorrect" one.Thanks for the help.
100_2180.JPG

I'm betting your local hardware store would have a carriage bolt that would fit your needs, assuming you aren't looking for something original.

That one was for a 14 X 4.5 wheel. Lots of people use a 14 X 4.5 instead of a 14 X 5.5 so that the trunk mat lays flatter.

Frank

You're right, with the 5.5 wheel option there is a large, obvious "bump" in the floor of the trunk. The factory tried to compensate for it by adding insulation to the underside of the floor mat on either side, thus reducing the difference in height between the tire cover board and floor of the trunk.

The part number for this part is 1963236, so I have reason to believe that this part might be found on cars as early as 1960. Please check other cars, thanks.

-
Back