Spark knock

-

dickyeb

Reaction score
Start with what I got. 1980 360 bored 30 over,kbp 190. Comp cam 525 lift intake and exhaust. Stock bottom end and stock heads.stock trans and 7 1/4 rear end. My concern is I just replace my intake manifold from a offenhouser dual plane to an edlebrock air gap intake dual plane. The gaskets wernt sealing and sucking a lot of oil. And I hated te offenhouser. With offenhouser I had no spark knock no problems. With this new intake it's fine cruising and litely into gas. But when I hammer down on it. It spark knock like crazy and buddy if mine that was falling me says there white smoke. I run 93octane and a 650 speed demon vacuum secondary and run a stock ignition box. I just don't want to mess up my motor any ideas

white smoke to me suggests water entering combustion chamber also would cause knock . I would be suspisos of a bad seal in your manifold gasket ...check plugs for clues

white smoke to me suggests water entering combustion chamber also would cause knock . I would be suspisos of a bad seal in your manifold gasket ...check plugs for clues

Totally agree with ya there KO

If the smoke disappears it's steam, and if it drifts away it's oil. Sounds like you have an intake leak at the water jacket ports at the very least.

Might want to also pull the oil plug just a little and see if coolant comes out, as it will destroy the bearings in a flash.

just installed felpro performance gasket and used grey silicone on both sides. I don't see how it can getting coolant into the intake ports being on coolant has separate runners can see it getting it in the oil. and oil levels not rising and non on the dip stick or real runny. I just take to the friend says its more like a puff than a fog. could it be fuel. like im starving it or timming problem.

If your getting smoke only when you go into knock, it's because your rattling/hammering the pistons hard enough to break the ring seal. You need to revisit your timing as it seems something went amiss during the manifold install.

just installed felpro performance gasket and used grey silicone on both sides. I don't see how it can getting coolant into the intake ports being on coolant has separate runners can see it getting it in the oil. and oil levels not rising and non on the dip stick or real runny. I just take to the friend says its more like a puff than a fog. could it be fuel. like im starving it or timming problem.

It's only a little farther away for it to get into the intake runner than it is to get into the oil.
Good that you are not seeing any in the motor though.
May be it's just condensation burning off and it's just going to far advanced on the timing.
Do you know what your total timing is?

when I checked it it was at 20. reset it to 34 right know haven't checked it again. this is was on sunday when I got the car back together

i took off the vacuum advanded my mechanic says dont need it

-
Back