Spark plug gap for Pertronix ignition?

-

3406pk

Reaction score
I have converted the points ignition on 70 Cuda 340 to Pertronix electronic. I have been running Champion RN9Y plugs at .030 gap. Is there a better proven plug and/or gap for use with the Pertronix. Pertronix instruction said must use plug wires for electronic ignition so changed that over. Runs Ok but hard starting. Does anyone have recommendation to make better?

What is your voltage to the distributor?The voltage ratio is 1 volt in primary,5000 more on secondary.Unload the ballast resistor.

NGK at .035 . you could bump up the timing some. make sure you have adequate fuel pressure.

I run a pertronix in my superbird....I love it! I gap my plugs at .035 and it starts and runs great. I use the same champion plugs.

Thanks for the replies. I had used the ballast resistor at first, but then I read that Pertronix said that could use 12v to dist. So I picked up 12v feed from hot side of resistor. Didn't seem to make any diff on starting. Yes the fuel press is good at 6-7 psi. I checked compression, set initial timing at 10 btdc, then fine tuned timing w vacuum gauge. I had rebuilt carb with a kit, so I may have to fine tune something there. The car is put away for winter now; so I will regap plugs and tune in spring.
For FanofPetty, do you run 12v to dist or use the ballast resistor?

I'v had this pertronix set-up in my car for about 6 years now......no problems at all

I chose the Pertronix for the stock dist with no control box. I wanted the engine compartment to look stock. Thanks fanofpetty for info on your voltage. Your bird and duster look really good. Thanks again to all.

thanks, and I chose it for the same reason.......looks dead stock, except for one added wire going to the ballast, that is hard to notice. I found this sweet little electrical push-on connector that has a female, to slide on the ballast and has 2 spots ( males) for the factory wire and the pertronix wire to slide on side by side. I did not have to cut my factory harness, and could easily go back to points if I wanted. In fact, I carry a set of points in the glove box in case the pertronix ever failed, but never had a problem.

Here's another vote for NGK plugs rather than Chumpion. Hold one of each in your hands and just use your eyes; the (much) better quality of the NGK is very obvious.

Gap? 0.035" if you're using run-of-the-mill cap, rotor, and wires. 0.040" if you're using premium parts.

I disagree........I have used NGK in my ATVs and snowmobiles....there no better than champions....and last no longer.

-
Back