Spark plug read

-

TRWRacing

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I haven't looked spark plugs in 30 years. This is a 360 9:1 compression, mild cam, 2.02 intake valves, 600 Edelbrock carb with air gap type intake.
FBO ignition

IMG_2623.JPG

IMG_2621.JPG

IMG_2625.JPG

looks like it's burning some oil and to much timing . from a quick glance

looks like it's burning some oil and to much timing . from a quick glance
600 miles on the MRL engine. Normal to burn a little oil on a newly rebuilt engine? I thought timing was a little advanced. I will back it off some.

It does not smoke.

Last edited:
Please educate me ... how can you tell the timing is too advanced by looking at this plug? The white tip? I would not have even considered timing.

Please educate me ... how can you tell the timing is too advanced by looking at this plug? The white tip? I would not have even considered timing.
Ground strap color, how far down it changes color, the further...the more timing it has.
Probably 2-4 degrees too much.

Your avatar reads "Ping Control", so I'm trusting you. Mine look like the OP's. I read "give it as much timing as it will take." I'm running 17-18* advance, full near 50*, starts easy, no pinging or dieseling, but also look like the OP's pictures. I'll try bumping mine down a little.

It is rich at cruise. Can't see WOT but I'd suspect is rich there too.

You can't always read the ground wire for total timing if you run a vacuum advance. It will always look like it has too much timing.

Do you run a vacuum advance?

Not currently using vacuum advance. Initial is 17 with 35* total at 3000 rpm. Edelbrock 600 running step #23

Last edited:
Not currently using vacuum advance. Initial is 17 with 35* total at 3000 rpm. Edelbrock 600 running step #23
Initial is fine, bring the total down to 32 degrees. Most small blocks I build don't need more than that. Soot on the base ring would mean rich idle. Cut the plugs thread ring off to see wot color down near metal she'll. Remember... the base ring , for the most part, reflects what the chamber looks like.

I adjusted the idle mixture via vacuum gauge and rpm to the highest reading. Edelbrock 1406 with mixture screws are about 1 turn out and idle speed set in park to 850-900 rpms.

It's funny that the first plug shows the change on the ground strap in the correct spot, but seems a little more "oily" wonder if higher level of oil is keeping the cylinder temperture down just a hair. New engines tend to use a little more oil. I run 34 total, no vac, I cut the crimp with cut off disc and pull the entire porcelean out. I have run 32-34, two degrees makes a BIG difference!

-
Back