Spark plug wire routing.

-

MOPARFIVE

Midwest Moparz
Reaction score
Hey all. Can you maybe post up a pic or two of your small block engines with headers. I have a set of hooker headers on a 318. They fit great but I'm scratching my head at plug wire routing. To me it looks like #3 and #5 should come from below and have a 90 degree boot. The other cylinders will take straight boots no problem. This can't be right? Or can it? Thanks for any advice out there.

Hey all. Can you maybe post up a pic or two of your small block engines with headers. I have a set of hooker headers on a 318. They fit great but I'm scratching my head at plug wire routing. To me it looks like #3 and #5 should come from below and have a 90 degree boot. The other cylinders will take straight boots no problem. This can't be right? Or can it? Thanks for any advice out there.
Mine are all straight.

Here are hooker headers. Keep them pulled tight with the holders.

DSCN0973.JPG

DSCN1065.JPG

I have heat shield sox on my plugs i don't have a picture :BangHead:

Pictures with supper comp hooker fenderwell
Local parts store, my son bought them for me on my birthday so I don't know how much, but they can't hurt

16591126288439112849062245971825.jpg

16591126654233815422410390190651.jpg

I have unknown brand headers but they do look similar to the hooker headers posted above, the last 2 wires are difficult to keep away from the header tube. I bought heat shield socks off amazon for about $12 for the set of 8 a few years ago and I haven't had any issues since

Don't mind how dirty my engine bay is and I know my wiring could tidy up a little but everything works

20220729_110151.jpg

20220729_110205.jpg

Thanks for the pics and advice everyone. I am going to summit to get wires and keepers. I think my mental block is cured. Lol

I totally agree with you. I can post a picture in the morning. I have a 69 340 Barracuda with headers. 5 and 7 have the tube in the way for a straight plug (in fact, I had to 'alter' a tool to be able to remove and install plugs). My last set of plug wires were Accel. I called them up and asked if I could buy two wires with 90 degree ends for header clearance. They asked what length, and for a very reasonable amount they sent them out. I really like having them not coming close to the header tube. I do not want to mess with the socks. A few years ago, I switched over to a complete MSD ignition system. BIG improvement. Anyway, I bought a set of their "Make your own" plug wires with straight boots. For a very reasonable price, they sell 90 degree boots separately. The wire set came with a good tool for attaching the boots.

-
Back