Spark Plugs On A Magnum Crate Motor?

-

mrvaliant

Reaction score
ANYONE KNOW WHAT PLUG BLUEPRINT ENGINES USE ON A 408 CRATE MOTOR .WHAT THE 375 HP WITH 9.8 to 1 COMP SHOULD USE ? I JUST GOT A CAR WITH THE 408 ENGINE AND IT HAS A CHAMPION C59YC IS THIS THE CORRECT PLUG ? THANKS JAMES

I have the same engine, and those plugs are also the champion 792(race plugs).

thanks cravin . why do u think they come with that motor? when i look the plug up it says its for a high compression motor. ever try another plug ?

Plugs are matched to engine head style and compressions ratio and intended usage. As far as the 408 you got with the Champion C59yc in it it's possible it's right If it matches the criteria of what is needed for the engine. If your not sure your best bet is to call Champion or whatever brand plugs you want to use and tell them your combination and ask for their suggestion.

Back in my Dodge Dakota days, it was sworn that Autolite 3924 (I believe that is the PN) made and additional 5hp over that Champion plugs that came from the factory. I'm not sure how factual that is, but I did go to them when I did a tune up. I couldn't really tell the difference, but then again 5 hp in a 4500lb truck would be difficult to feel in the seat of your pants. I run the same plugs on my LA 360 with Magnum heads just because thats what I did on the Dakota.

I am also down on Champion because in 1984, one of the plugs blew apart and put a dent in the bulge hood on my '70 Challenger. Probably a fluke, but I tend to hold a grudge....

mrvaliant
i have a 360/380 crate engine and have been using autolights 3924 and 0ne range colder 3923. if you try the fram autolight web sight they do give a very good break down on uses including crate engine requirments.thats where i got my answere to the same question.
plus my local auto part stores seem to have them on sale often enough at 49 cents each
terry

-
Back