spark question, can't remember fix

-

C300

Reaction score
pulled the intake, bad gasket from previous owner. put it all back together. put new o-ring on distributor base, stupid hard to move and raises up when loosened. so i ended up touching the negative side of the coil with the dist. wrench 3 different times while running. it cut out the ignition while momentarily then kept running. got timing set. all's good and it just quits. doesn't start till it cools off. then runs till hot and quits again. when it's hot and not starting it fires(gets spark) when i turn off the key... trying to remember what that is a symptom of ??? changed the coil today, cranks but no spark, then backfires when turning off the key.
Did i fry the dam box ??! :eek:ops: Any help is appreciated, thanks C300

Yup, probably
The fact that you get the one spark, going to key-off proves that the ECU is alive, and obviously the coil is good and so is the wiring on the run side of the dual ballast resistor. So that just leaves two possibilities 1) the crank side of the wiring or 2) The crank side of the dual ballast resistor. Experience says resistor.And the runs til hot kinda proves it.I say kinda, because it could be a high-resistance connection at the resistor. I say could; but not likely.

thanks guys, was thinking the mag. pickup, box or the ballast. had checked power to coil +, is low but about 8v. Should be battery voltage with key on ? Ballasts are cheep, so i'll toss one in. hope that does it, thanks, C300

Bad ECM. Goo dripping out the back, potting compound. had it checked at parts store after waisting the day checking the wires. Instead of buying a cheap one($23.99+tax) i'm going to order an orange one. done deal. $29+ shipping. anyone have one local ? thanks C300

The ignition problem i had is this. SO SUCKED.
put engine in. ran fine. did compression check. installed new plugs. timed it. it quits. cools. starts, quits... doesn't start. Guess the battery was low from starting and bumping. Followed a short to ground. SO the voltage regulator fried. shorted to ground, fried the ECM, coil and that's that... Damm !

Not sure if grounding the - side of the coil had anything to do with this. just an old regulator.
Runs sweet now, C300

Thanks for the update!!

It sucks your ignition system fried (probably from grounding)...but you're on the road now and it wouldn't be any fun without the troubleshooting, lol.

-
Back