Spark & Timing Issues

-

67Redfish

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I want to solicit some advice regarding my ignition system. I had a Summit Racing CD ignition system installed last year. Since that time, the car has run fairly well, but has started differently than before (electronic ignition from 74 Dart). I just learned that my plugs are not getting a spark when the starter is cranking. The spark only registers when I let off the key and the starter disengages. The engine usually starts at that point. Would this be an ECU problem or starter switch problem or something else entirely?

Secondarily and possibly related, I run a 500 cfm Edelbrock Performer carb. When I moved to CO a few years ago I rejetted it with the parts suggested by Edelbrock. It turns out that it is running way too lean especially with the LD4B intake that just went on. Right now, it requires significant initial timing to run properly (about 35). Pulling it back to about 20 stalls it out. From what I have read, this is far too much timing. Could this timing situation be remedied if I put in bigger jets? If not, what possible fixes could be made? Thanks for any and all advice.

I wire my AL6 top be hot continuously when the key is turned on..not through the start switch
Wire the hot wire from the box to a key on, constant hot at fuse box.

Sounds like you are dropping 12v to the ignition box when you turn the key to crank.

Good luck.

-
Back