Speaker Ports

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I hope this is ok in this section. I recently added 2 6x9 speakers behind Gladys' seat to replace the single 8" subwoofer I had. I never liked how it was bass response only and did not really give out much of any higher frequencies. The boxes are small. Just big enough for a 6x9 speaker. I like the much higher frequency response, but now the bass response is very tight and "drummy" sounding if that makes sense. I've read properly sized speaker ports will help this, but how do I decide on size? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Cut a hole in the front of the enclosure the size of a toilet paper tube. Insert a toilet tube till it sounds right. Cut off excess and glue it in.

Cut a hole in the front of the enclosure the size of a toilet paper tube. Insert a toilet tube till it sounds right. Cut off excess and glue it in.
That's 2" and exactly what I had thought of doing. Thanks.

SO then 2" is a good size for a 6x9 speaker box? I'd sure like to know before I get the hole saw out. lol

SO then 2" is a good size for a 6x9 speaker box? I'd sure like to know before I get the hole saw out.

RRR,
I'm reasonably familiar with how this works, but I can't help you with the details. Speaker box performance is pretty detailed. To get it right, you'd need lots of technical info on the speaker and how it would interact with your box. A rule of thumb, smaller boxes put out less bass which is likely contributing to your issue. I have a similar setup as what you're describing, a pair of 6x9's in a just-big-enough box. They have very little bass response.

I'd give it a go with what was suggested by ch1ll above. If you don't like the sound, you can always just put a cover over the port and you're back to where you started from.

Another thought, can you put the 8" subwoofer in play with your 6x9's? That might help balance out the sound.

RRR,
I'm reasonably familiar with how this works, but I can't help you with the details. Speaker box performance is pretty detailed. To get it right, you'd need lots of technical info on the speaker and how it would interact with your box. A rule of thumb, smaller boxes put out less bass which is likely contributing to your issue. I have a similar setup as what you're describing, a pair of 6x9's in a just-big-enough box. They have very little bass response.

I'd give it a go with what was suggested by ch1ll above. If you don't like the sound, you can always just put a cover over the port and you're back to where you started from.

Another thought, can you put the 8" subwoofer in play with your 6x9's? That might help balance out the sound.
I'm not really after big bass, I'm just wanting this "drummy" sound gone. I'd be pretty happy with just that.

My 6x9 boxes have the plastic round +/- speaker wire connector on the back, if yours has those maybe just remove and do the toilet roll test there?

I might try it on mine now that I think of it.

Another car, I used old school home stereo boxes, drilled out to fit 6x9 so there is a gap around the speakers, iirc. Those sound fine so it must work.

-
Back