Speaking of Springs for Magnum Heads and Hyd cams.....

-

Baxter61

Reaction score
Anyone have a recommendation for a valve spring that works on a magnum head with factory head going on a LA block with a hyd flat tappet? I see the Hughes 1110, they have 120# on the seat which to me seems just a touch high, would be nice to find a +.050 retainer as my math says that would knock it down to the 105-110 range. Or anyone know of a different spring that would put about 100-110 on the seat and clear a .540 ish lift cam? I found these: Trick Flow® by PAC Racing Single Valve Springs TFS-16942-16 They say good for .500 lift, they look like they would "bolt on" to a factory magnum head, but if you ran only about .060 coil bind clearance they look like theyd clear .540 lift. Any other suggestions as well?

That number is based on an installed height of 1.7" and the factory magnum installed height is 1.64" I believe. Looks like the actual coil bind height for that spring is 1.15" based on trick flows chart. I could be wrong but with 0.06 that only gives you 0.43" of lift max.

upload_2020-4-17_16-37-28.png

I've been doing the same research trying to find a better spring but I'm coming up short.

I think I intended to say run those with a +0.100 retainer because I believe stock magnum is 1.66, so a 1.76 installed would be right around 100 on the seat, which may now be a little light, but they could maybe work with a less aggressive cam under .500 lift?

That sounds like it would be a solid option. I definitely don't know enough to say what will work or won't work. I'll be following this thread to see what comes of it. My plan was to just go snag some off of a GM 3100 currently but if there's a sub $100 option I would nix the 3100 springs and buy new.

Are you gonna use stock length valves?

If so we are limited to that installed height of 1.64-1.66.

I’ve read on the Dakota and Jeep forums that running +.100 longer valve will get you to the 1.7 height and that opens up a world of springs that can be used. The only other option is the cut the spring seat to get the same IH as running longer valves.

Only reason I know this, I have read for the past 2 days on springs for Magnums with stock length valves and not cutting the seat and the other option of cutting the spring seat.

I read that if you stay under the .460-.470 lift you can get away with the GM 3100, but that’s only with Hydraulic Roller.

The only real option I found other than Hughes 1110, were the MP P5249464 and the MP P4876062. Both MP’s use the locks and retainers off of the 2.2L, the 9464 spring is good for up to .525 lift and the 6062 is good up to .600.

Mancini had the MP’s the cheapest I could find @ $9.95 per spring plus shipping, so it puts you at around $200 for everything. You can get the retainers at pick-a-part for near nothing and just buy new locks.

The spring seat is only 1.44-.46, depending on your head as mfg. does vary, so that limits us as well!!!

The factory RT heads came with the 9464 springs if I read correctly. I’ve looked a so many forums it’s given me a headache.

I thought I had the issue solved with Comp 901-16 springs, as they have an installed height of 1.65 and coil bind of 1.100, when I test fitted them, some of the seats were a little tight and a couple the springs would not seat at all. The 901-16 are 1.494 OD and I needed them just a bit smaller in the 1.44-.46 range to sit properly.

Last edited:
Why are we limited to the stock installed height? I dont have any heads here to measure, but is there not a +.100 retainer available that can be used to get to 1.76? Like does it physically interfere?

I do like the MP P5249464 spring, its what i have on my 587 heads now and I run them with stock retainers. Mancinis $10 option is way better than Summits $17, thats actually largely what started me on this quest cuz I have no problem running the P5249464 spring

Why are we limited to the stock installed height? I dont have any heads here to measure, but is there not a +.100 retainer available that can be used to get to 1.76? Like does it physically interfere?

I do like the MP P5249464 spring, its what i have on my 587 heads now and I run them with stock retainers. Mancinis $10 option is way better than Summits $17, thats actually largely what started me on this quest cuz I have no problem running the P5249464 spring

From everything that I’ve researched and read up on, it does interfere with the stock rockers.

Also coil bind is tough to get by with on the installed height as well depending on what lift is being ran.

So you’re running stock retainers and locks with the MP springs?

On 587 LA heads, yea; thats why I chose these springs because a) I already had them and b) out of all the valve springs I did already have these were the only ones that would clear .510 lift and theyre installed around 1.650

On 587 LA heads, yea; thats why I chose these springs because a) I already had them and b) out of all the valve springs I did already have these were the only ones that would clear .510 lift and theyre installed around 1.650

supposedly if there on the magnum heads you have to run factory 2.2L retainers due to the rockers being pedestal mounted instead of shaft.

So if you have them you are ahead of the game already!!!

Im looking to do a few more sets of heads though and need to find affordable options. Obviously theres $300 spring/retainer packages to run or can spend money on machining and spring cups, etc but trying to be budget oriented

Lunati has good prices on good springs, Erson has good prices as does Doug Herbert
better check for retainer interference with +100 retainers or + .050 locks and _.050 retainers
lots of these motors built there have to be threads out there Magnums in Jeeps for example
are you looking for beehives?
cut for VITON seals, and you may need to cut the seat to locate the spring

As for repro mag heads...
If you use a +.100 11/32 chevy app valve .. ... can end up with a nice spring height of 1.72... and with a +/- lock and/or retainer get it 1.64-1.80 if you want using vsi's as well.

-
Back