Special head

-

dvboth

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a slant 6 head with "special" cast into the head? The casting number is 2206035

00c0c_1uRb2XCjp33_600x450.jpg

Thats kinda cool slantsixdan or charlie_s might know something about it hopefully they chime in.

That might be the correct head for the aluminum block slant......but I don't know for sure.

I think the aluminum blocks use the same head just a different gasket,but i could be wrong also.

I think the aluminum blocks use the same head just a different gasket,but i could be wrong also.

slantsixdan will be along in a bit to tell us all how wrong we are. I have no doubt.

I do know the head was used from 1964 to 1966 according to the casting head casting number.

I think the aluminum block was discontinued midway through the 63 year. So this could be something weird or something common. Maybe an industrial setup.

I've seen it before, but I cannot remember what the deal is with it.

I don't recall any such mark on mine.. but I haven't looked at it for 5 yrs....its just sitting over by the block next to the compressor collecting dust.

Yeah that's a '64-'66 series casting#, same here, not sure but it may be for industrial apps..? Cain't recall ATM...........

If you read the net...it's the early head for aluminum 225's, the later head had 5 star cast on it.
The difference is a little smaller round chamber to ensure sealing of the head gasket against the thin cylinder top.

I think I have the 5 star, it's a '62 from my v200

Last edited:
All of the aluminum 225s have “casted-in” iron bore liners and came with iron cylinder heads. Initially the heads had the word "SPECIAL" cast in where the casting number was usually placed (above number 5 intake/exhaust runners outside the valve cover rail). Later, a five-pointed star was used to denote the special head for use with the aluminum block, which had slightly smaller combustion chambers and tighter control of combustion
alm-blk-barrel-sm.jpg
chamber placement to assure proper head gasket sealing. This was necessary due to the relatively narrow area available at the top of each cylinder liner for gasket sealing. For the 1963 model year, the tighter placement control and smaller chamber diameter were communized on all Slant-6 heads; any '63 or later cylinder head can be used on an aluminum 225. It is very wise to install the head on the empty block during engine buildup and take the time to manipulate the locating pins and sockets to get combustion chamber placement perfectly centered over each cylinder. Aluminum blocks, in their stock form, can be over-bored a maximum of 0.040". Beyond this, special modification is required

You know, a GOOD welder could make a plate for a deck on those aluminum blocks to support the top of the cylinders. Wouldn't be cheap, but man you could turbo the hell out of one then. LOL

You know, a GOOD welder could make a plate for a deck on those aluminum blocks to support the top of the cylinders. Wouldn't be cheap, but man you could turbo the hell out of one then. LOL
Sure wouldn't, but would help it make power without popping all but dried up head gasket.

I'm thinking about filling mine, maybe make some passages through around mid cylinder out of wax..

The decks have been welded up, but they're still a fairly fragile setup with lots of finicky traits not suited to high output,...........unfortunately......some hardblok may help,
or one could just plunk down the big $$$$ and have a set of big-bore Darton sleeves made..................:D..........if I hit the lottery You can count on it.................

It's a cool slant six part to have, but not real trick. Special, Star, and the Number castings are all early heads with the dasting numbers. The last image you can just see in the lower right corner the start of what I call the Number casting, it just looks like some number sequence that they cast in the head rail.
Head_Star.JPG
IMG_3516.JPG
2206035-3.jpg

Its for sale locally, if it's not anything performance wise I'm not going to buy it!
Yeah, it's great for someone restoring an Al-U-minimum engine, but doesn't offer even the best performance of the OE heads. Later heads had better chambers.............

-
Back