Spectra (CU526) Radiator - Fan Shroud Options

-

Jonnydodge

Reaction score
Has anyone mounted a fan shroud to one of these CU526 radiators in a 1972 Dodge Dart? I bought my Dart equipped with this radiator and it do not come with a fan shroud. The engine runs hot and I want to start with adding a fan shroud to improve the cooling performance. The fan is solid mounted, not a clutch style fan.

Define runs hot....

180, 190, 200, 210, 220?

At idle or at cruising speeds?

Stop and go traffic yesterday in 100F heat in Phoenix. Would quickly climb beyond 220-240F and I stopped at a Home Depot to walk around and let it cool off. Hopped back in drove a few more miles of stop lights before I got to my house. Experienced the same temp spike.

Stop and go traffic yesterday in 100F heat in Phoenix. Would quickly climb beyond 220-240F and I stopped at a Home Depot to walk around and let it cool off. Hopped back in drove a few more miles of stop lights before I got to my house. Experienced the same temp spike.
I forgot to add that it is equipped with a overflow bottle from Summit that allows to drain the over flow or capture and contain it. The upper and lower radiator hoses eventually collapse as it cools down. I already downsized the radiator cap from 17 to 13 psi spec.

Your overflow MUST be vented to the atmosphere or the hose collapse you note will happen.

IMHO

You need to determine the main reason for the overheating issue.

Is it the water pump, pulleys, fan blades, pitch, clogged rad, clogged block, advance, air fuel ratio,

The list goes on

You are not really going to want to hear this, but I say dump that Spectra radiator and add a clutched fan.
The Spectra barely cooled the stock 318 in Phoenix, barely cooled the mild 5.9 up here in the summer (90-100 degrees)

Aftermarket radiator and a clutch fan solved that, even with no shroud.
Maybe 195 even down there where you are.

IMG_3637.jpeg

-
Back