spectra premium non A/C heater core

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
Hi Y'all,

I bought a spectra premium heater core for my 67 cuda. I got this at autozone a few years ago for $19.00 . Its all aluminum construction, and requires a little massaging on its mounting frame to make it fit well. On the flip side its about 2/3 lighter than the copper/brass one it replaces, and the cost i think is worth what little filing work you have to do with a die grinder and a brown roloc disc on the heater core frame to allow the frame drop inside the heater box housing.

Hope this helps
Matt

Thanks Matt. Dad got one that came with the cuda when he bought it. Took minor trimming. ..not sure what make but no issues. I wonder if its the same Spectra that makes the gas tanks??

Probably the same spectra if i had to guess.

I originally bought it via mail order online a couple years back. Only bothered to fit it to my heater box now. I opened the box when i got it, and it looked the same as the original copper/brass one. Amazing the weight difference between the 2. Even with the thick aluminum frame. Aluminum transfers heat better than copper/brass, so it should keep the cabin nice and toasty in the winter.

Great. Make sure to use a coolant good for aluminum (most today). With traditional coolant, aluminum can corrode fast, which killed most of the early aluminum block slant sixes. A confusing number of coolants today. I just saw Autozone carries a new line for the latest mostly Jap engines - pink, blue, ... and in quarts since the price of a gallon would shock. I also saw a new "lifetime" coolant recently at Walmart, though didn't say it causes less corrosion. I started using Evans Waterless in most of my vehicles since corrosion has been painful and tedious, especially on my M-B that have ungodly parts prices plus difficult access (3 day job to change a heater core). I am still weighing its pros & cons, but no overheating yet.

Yep, i have an aluminum radiator for it as well. The modern aluminum compatible antifreeze is all i use in my vehicles.

Change your coolant every couple years, regardless. The water can evaporate through the hoses, throwing off the Chemistry.

Great. Make sure to use a coolant good for aluminum (most today). With traditional coolant, aluminum can corrode fast, which killed most of the early aluminum block slant sixes.

What killed most of the aluminum slant-6s was that motorists were still in the habit of using antifreeze only in winter, and using straight water in the other three seasons. There was also a dumb habit of pouring random liquids into the cooling system, hence the explicit warnings in the owner's manuals to please, please, PLEASE use glycol-based coolant, please DON'T use alcohol-based coolant, and for the love of all that is holy DO NOT use any solutions based on honey, mineral oil, coffee, saltwater, or elephant piss.

A confusing number of coolants today.

Read this.

-
Back