Speed pro old cam specs?

-

Babyblue66

Cool dude
Reaction score
I've got an old Speed Pro CS181R camshaft for big block, and am looking for specs. I have not had a big block apart lately to pop it into and degree it.
Anyone out there have an old catalog?

hydraulic, 242/242. at .050 . 329/329 at .006 .duration. .476 / .476 lift . 112 lobe separation. 84 overlap

So I just found this. I guess I'll just have to degree it.
Also I put it in my lathe and measured lift with a dial indicator. It's .487 lift.

20230214_140646.jpg

So I just found this. I guess I'll just have to degree it.
Also I put it in my lathe and measured lift with a dial indicator. It's .487 lift.

View attachment 1716049938
Those are the numbers I found. That cam was made by everybody and his brother at one point in time. TRW, Melling, Elgin, Speed Pro, Pro Stock and on and on and. Probably only made and ground by one company, then sold and re-boxed by different vendors. It's a really nice old school easy on the valve train grind.

I
Those are the numbers I found. That cam was made by everybody and his brother at one point in time. TRW, Melling, Elgin, Speed Pro, Pro Stock and on and on and. Probably only made and ground by one company, then sold and re-boxed by different vendors. It's a really nice old school easy on the valve train grind.
Was thinking about using it with a set of Rhoads lifters I have.

The engine in question has an actual 9 to 1. Not that much compression. I think it'd work well
I agree. I think it would work well too. With standard hydraulic lifters.

I've worked on a 440 with the next smaller cam on the list. 230 @ 50 on a 109. That's actually a really nice driving cam with a mellow idle a good torque. Quiet valve train too.

Actually I was thinking if it was 242 @ 50. But 236 on a 112 isn't that much overlap
The numbers I found say that cam is .480/230 on a 112. That's part of the problem. With so many vendors offering "the same" cam, they all probably put their own spin on the specs. Standard hydraulic lifters have enough of a "no man's land" in regards to "WHERE" the plunger is already. That's why I absolutely detest any type of bleed down lifters. I don't think they ever regain 100%, I don't care what the marketing says.....plus, if I'm going to have a noisy valve train, it's gonna be because of solid lifters.

My paper shows it 236, and the 1144r 230.
Ive used Rhoads on a friends car with an isky mega cam with 244 @ 50, and my dad's gtx had them in with a 284 484 mopar cam years ago when he got it. Bot ran great and acted smaller at idle. I have read many instances where people have nothing but good things to say. I'd use them again. Since I have a set, I will eventually. It's like holley vs edelbrock.

My paper shows it 236, and the 1144r 230.
Ive used Rhoads on a friends car with an isky mega cam with 244 @ 50, and my dad's gtx had them in with a 284 484 mopar cam years ago when he got it. Bot ran great and acted smaller at idle. I have read many instances where people have nothing but good things to say. I'd use them again. Since I have a set, I will eventually. It's like holley vs edelbrock.
Oh understand, I'm not saying they cannot be of benefit. What I AM saying is, since the fast bleed lifters bleed down so quickly, there's absolutely no guarantee that they ever pump up to achieve full lift. I've always suspected they don't, but what do I know? It's just "my opinion" that a cam with 236 @ .050 on a 112 isn't "big enough" to justify bleed down lifters. It's just not something that "I" would do or recommend. I didn't say there was anything "wrong" with it. This is hot rodding. h are no rules.

-
Back