Speed rating on tires

-

downsr

Reaction score
What does the speed rating on tires actually mean. If it says the speed rating is 100 mph
on your tire does that mean your tire can fail over 100 mph

My 96 Neon ACR was speed limited to 130 mph assuming because the tires that came with it were H rated, 130 mph. I'm sure there is a safety factor, but that is your call. I usually buy the highest rated tires I can find for the size I'm looking for.

Means exactly what it says, the tire is rated for use up to the indicated speed. Go faster than that and you're on your own, good luck.

speed rating one thing,..load rating is another,..and both need to be considered when buying tires! its hard to find a big truck steer tires rated higher than 70 mph,..something to think bout next time your on a interstate!!

iirc....[read somewhere] that the speed rating was for period of one hour @ max speed..

speed rating one thing,..load rating is another,..and both need to be considered when buying tires! its hard to find a big truck steer tires rated higher than 70 mph,..something to think bout next time your on a interstate!!

now, load rating is PER TIRE, not per vehicle. meaning that a 4000 pound vehicle, on 4 tires rated at 1500 pounds EACH is perfectly safe

does the same hold for speed rating?
is a car with 4 tires rated at 70 MPH good until 280 MPH?
:poke:

now, load rating is PER TIRE, not per vehicle. meaning that a 4000 pound vehicle, on 4 tires rated at 1500 pounds EACH is perfectly safe

does the same hold for speed rating?
is a car with 4 tires rated at 70 MPH good until 280 MPH?
:poke:
lolol, no wish it did!

"Speed ratings are based on laboratory tests where the tire is pressed against a large diameter metal drum to reflect its appropriate load, and run at ever increasing speeds (in 6.2 mph steps in 10 minute increments) until the tire's required speed has been met"

What happens and for how long, is tire run afterthe tire's required speed has been met?

Lol!! Well, a lot of Us ran long fast & hard on tires before speed ratings existed, and yes occasionally got bit. Generally, the tires can withstand their speed rating for a decent
stretch, but that capability varies with conditions. How heavily they are loaded per their max rating, what the ambient air temp is, what the road surface temp is, all affect
just how long they can sustain those speeds. Excess temp is the enemy, so like all risky endeavors, use Your head. If it's 105deg & You're loaded for an extended stay in
LA, & departure from Vegas is at noon, I wouldn't try to break any records or prove a point Kowalski style..............

"Speed ratings are based on laboratory tests where the tire is pressed against a large diameter metal drum to reflect its appropriate load, and run at ever increasing speeds (in 6.2 mph steps in 10 minute increments) until the tire's required speed has been met"

What happens and for how long, is tire run afterthe tire's required speed has been met?

They don't run them after the rated speed has been met. At least not in published testing to meet the rating. The speed rating system is just a standard that has to be met by the tire companies. The tire companies no doubt do more testing than that, but the rating system is separate from that.

Like I said earlier, after the rated speed, you're on your own. Sure, most tires will probably do more. And like killer6 said failure would depend on a lot of factors, load, time, temperature, road conditions, how old, worn, or damaged the tires are etc.

Just buy tires that are rated for how you intend to use them.

Lol!! Well, a lot of Us ran long fast & hard on tires before speed ratings existed, and yes occasionally got bit. Generally, the tires can withstand their speed rating for a decent
stretch, but that capability varies with conditions. How heavily they are loaded per their max rating, what the ambient air temp is, what the road surface temp is, all affect
just how long they can sustain those speeds. Excess temp is the enemy, so like all risky endeavors, use Your head. If it's 105deg & You're loaded for an extended stay in
LA, & departure from Vegas is at noon, I wouldn't try to break any records or prove a point Kowalski style..............
and bumps in road!! took me a while to learn when hauling a load gotta slow down on ruff roads or tires go boom! ever see a truck tire recap smash a windshield of a car riding in lane beside them??

-
Back