Speedmaster LA heads stud kit question

-

318boy

Reaction score
Does anyone know which ARP Head stud kit replaces the Speedmaster head stud kit for the Speedmaster #2146 la heads, as I hear the speedmasterl studs strip easy. ?

Does anyone know which ARP Head stud kit replaces the Speedmaster head stud kit for the Speedmaster #2146 la heads, as I hear the speedmasterl studs strip easy. ?
You probably heard that from someone who's never used the kit... they're the same thing just cheaper...

I've used the SM stud kit once, no issues. I will soon be using my second set of SM heads and stud kit on a 2nd engine. I expect no issues again. This is my testimony, not a warranty :D

May I ask what torque spec you guys used with SM studs or just what they recommended
Not saying I did right, but I just slightly lubed the studs and just snugged them in the head then tightened the nuts to normal torque. No issues and a couple of years. Somebody might have a better method.

I used arp lube on the washers the bottoms of the head of the bolts and under threads and like 318 just thread them in snug put the heads on and had ARP leave all over the washers making sure they were wrong correct and took them down to I think ARP specs which is maybe 10 lb more like 100 lb or something...
Anyways working fine on my stuff too...
IMG_20200613_194442.jpg

I used arp lube on the washers the bottoms of the head of the bolts and under threads and like 318 just thread them in snug put the heads on and had ARP leave all over the washers making sure they were wrong correct and took them down to I think ARP specs which is maybe 10 lb more like 100 lb or something...
Anyways working fine on my stuff too...
View attachment 1716082316
I forgot, yes, I also put a small amount of lube under the washers.

May I ask what torque spec you guys used with SM studs or just what they recommended
I will also add (some off topic) that I've used 2 speedmaster small block air gap intakes so far, one on a LA and the other on a Magnum. Both sealed perfect and work great on mild small blocks. I have another brand new on in the box.

I will also add (some off topic) that I've used 2 speedmaster small block air gap intakes so far, one on a LA and the other on a Magnum. Both sealed perfect and work great on mild small blocks. I have another brand new on in the box.
I'm using one of the intakes on my power wagon build and I think it could possibly be the root of all my problems! LOL..

I'm using one of the intakes on my power wagon build and I think it could possibly be the root of all my problems! LOL..
I think the core shift on the SM is better than eddy's. However, the "dual pattern" needs to be respected when tightening the intake down because in my opinion, it doesn't add strength to the intake. Some have had cracks in those areas. I've used a forgiving intake gaskets, no china wall gasket, and double check that it sits flush on the heads.

I think the core shift on the SM is better than eddy's. However, the "dual pattern" needs to be respected when tightening the intake down because in my opinion, it doesn't add strength to the intake. Some have had cracks in those areas. I've used a forgiving intake gaskets, no china wall gasket, and double check that it sits flush on the heads.
I think I got enough leftover China wall gaskets to put end to end and make it to your house LOL...

-
Back