Speedo Cable Boo Boo

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
So apparently I boo booed and bought the wrong cable for my 65 Barracuda. Rather then paying to ship it back can I use the core assuming its the right length?

The problem is the transmission side screws into and the original seems to just slide/snap into place.

Anybody? Please I am going to try tonight and I just want to make sure I am not going to damage anything before I do.

For your Barracuda you need the cable that has the large nut on the transmission end and a much smaller nut for the speedometer. The cable part that actually turns you should be able to use it in your original cable if it's the right length. Hope this helps

For your Barracuda you need the cable that has the large nut on the transmission end and a much smaller nut for the speedometer.

Not correct. For the '65, he needs the '60-'65 type of cable with a cast aluminum O-ringed end that pushes into the transmission's tailshaft after the small nylon drive pinion and retainer have been installed on the end of the cable. The kind you're describing is for '66-up transmissions.

Not correct. For the '65, he needs the '60-'65 type of cable with a cast aluminum O-ringed end that pushes into the transmission's tailshaft after the small nylon drive pinion and retainer have been installed on the end of the cable. The kind you're describing is for '66-up transmissions.

Ooops! I was thinking about the non-stock set-up I used to have in my 65 GT 'vert which used the 66/67 cable (and will be using the same when it all goes back together eventually). The slant and 4 speed that will be going in my Dart wagon will use the cable you described.

Slantsixdan you are correct that is the way it looked if the core is the right length can I use it?

IF the core length is correct, but I think the '66-'67 cable (small threaded on one end, big threaded on the other) is longer than the '60-'65 cable.

-
Back