speedo cable removal

-

sniekamp

Reaction score
I just pulled the speedometer cable out of the tranny and pulled it out to the engine bay. But its still connected to the fire wall. How do I remove it the rest of the way and apply the dry lubricant?

74 dart 318 4 door

You need to disconnect it from the back of speedo/dash cluster. Then you can pull the cable out from the "top"/dash side.

Pat

Uh huh.
If you take it off the speedo you can pull the drive cable out of the housing and trans drive gear all at once. (without taking the whole housing out of the car)
Putting it back in is just as easy but you have to twist it back and forth as it goes back in towards the end so it seats back into the drive gear in the trans.
Put it all back together and just pull the drive cable out of it from the speedo end.

There is a metal spring type peice surrounding the cable that you have to push toward the speedo to release the cable.
Yours might have the white nylon connector on the end where it connects to the speedo that is the (squeese to release type) release.

Thanks guys I got it out! Now what do I look for to see if the cable is bad? Or do I just rub graffite on it and push it back in?

Thanks guys I got it out! Now what do I look for to see if the cable is bad? Or do I just rub graffite on it and push it back in?

Good deal man. I just look for fraying, kinks etc...the lube it up and slide it back it.

Pat

-
Back