Speedo Drive Swap

-

Benfica73

Reaction score
Hi folks, I have a 318 Swinger with a 904 with a lock up convertor from a later F body. When I went to connect the speedometer, I noticed that the cable which is fused to the speedo drive would not mate to my speedometer. Therefore I removed the old speedo drive from the original 904 that was in the car and installed it into the later trans. I was sure to rotate the speedo drive when I installed it as per the number of teeth on the pinion but I am still not getting any reading at the speedometer. Should I be using a different speedo pinion in the later trans? Or am I overlooking something?

Does the gear/cable turn?
Do you know how to find out?

Pictures of said parts would go a long way if you can do it.

It appears as if the speedo pinion isn't mating with the "gear" inside the trans. It has 28 teeth and I've rotated the pinion drive so the "28" that's stamped on the drive is at the bottom. As per the instructions in this pic.
speedopinionadapter.jpg

I'm wondering if this pinion drive / adapter is compatible with my later trans...

Jack it up and see if the gear spins with the car in gear, and if it does put the cable back on.
Disconnect the cable from the speedo and see if the cable spins there, and if it does then it's either not going on the back of the speedo right or the speedo is bad.
It's just a process to find out what's causing it.

-
Back