speedo drive

-

340 swinger

Reaction score
Does anybody in here know where I can get a speedo drive for a 727 that will work with 26" tall tires and 391 gears?

You need a Green 39 tooth and you can get it from your local dodge dealer. The part number is 52068061.

Hey 340 Dart. You don't know by chance the part # or where I can get the little metal pin that goes in the end of the gear shaft to center the gear on a 3-speed manual case do you?
Jim

Sorry Jim, I don't.

I had to look up the answer to 340 swingers question a couple of years ago, when I did, I saved a copy of the chart to my computer.

You need a Green 39 tooth and you can get it from your local dodge dealer. The part number is 52068061.

Thanks for the info. Do you know if its a big deal to change this drive? Does the tranny need to come out to do this?

If you jack up the back of the car instead of the front you will be less likely to lose some tranny fluid. I would have a bowl ready just in case.

Follow your speedo cable to where it goes into the tranny. There is a clamp with one bolt it it (like a distributor) that holds this in your tranny. Take it off and pull it straight out. (this is where you might leak a little fluid) take the old gear off and put the new one on and put it back together. It is a 5 minute job.

However, there are some markings on the thing you are taking out and you have to line up the numbers. Some people call it "clocking". Your installing a 39 so look for it to be stamped on the part ( it will say 36-40 or something) and line up the appropriate markings. It is hard to explain, but when it is in your hand you will understand.

If you jack up the back of the car instead of the front you will be less likely to lose some tranny fluid. I would have a bowl ready just in case.

Follow your speedo cable to where it goes into the tranny. There is a clamp with one bolt it it (like a distributor) that holds this in your tranny. Take it off and pull it straight out. (this is where you might leak a little fluid) take the old gear off and put the new one on and put it back together. It is a 5 minute job.

However, there are some markings on the thing you are taking out and you have to line up the numbers. Some people call it "clocking". Your installing a 39 so look for it to be stamped on the part ( it will say 36-40 or something) and line up the appropriate markings. It is hard to explain, but when it is in your hand you will understand.

Thanks, I have learned more on this site than all the local guys who think they know, hands down.

-
Back